Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

Share |

Whats the proper name for this

Hi

I'm not sure what this overhead bunker above the shower/tub is called

I didn't take many pictures when I had the Drywall off and can't figure out how it was build now.

I Don't know the proper name,So I can even look for plans on how they are built.

This is what it looked like before

Where I'm now(LOST)

On this side I have two 1x6's,but the other 1

Also the wood wasn't sitting stright on with the roof joist all the wall down it seems so i build it like it was,should the 1x6's be dead on..I just hope it holds.

I'm desperately trying to finish rebuilding the front half

I hope someone can point me into the right direction

Thanks

I don't even know what these bulk heads are good for

K.M.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #2

More pictures

What it look like with the Drywall stripped

Last edited by K.M.G; 11-19-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

these soffits are built over a tub to lower the ceiling which keeps more warm air closer to the tub. Nothing critical with structure as long as it does not fall down. Just there to hold the drywall up. In some cases it may be used to also conceal duct work going to upper floors.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #4

Might want to have someone look at the insulation and air flow up along the soffits. Doesn't look like much insulation and it appears the trusses don't have an energy heel on them. Looked like moisture buildup in some of the pics.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #5

I would also suggest to have someone look at this. You need drywall on the ceiling to hold the loose-fill insulation up over this soffit and between the framed walls on the ceiling. You also need fire-stopping from a horizontal to a vertical space, and every 10 lineal feet.
Page #4: http://www.codecheck.com/cc/images/CC5thEdSample.pdf There should be tin installed above and around the B-vent to stop any fire from reaching the attic space. The attic should be separate from any vertical space with drywall.
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #6

Who are these people I call in to even look at the insulation???

There was tons more insulation,but it all fell on my head I can Guarantee 100% on that

So there's No proper way on building this...
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
I would also suggest to have someone look at this. You need drywall on the ceiling to hold the loose-fill insulation up over this soffit and between the framed walls on the ceiling. You also need fire-stopping from a horizontal to a vertical space, and every 10 lineal feet.
Page #4: http://www.codecheck.com/cc/images/CC5thEdSample.pdf There should be tin installed above and around the B-vent to stop any fire from reaching the attic space. The attic should be separate from any vertical space with drywall.
Be safe, Gary
Are you serious...All i have had was Dry-wall for the last 20 years and it's been fine.

This house is in Ontario CDN
Old 11-20-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

of course there is a proper way to build it. Think of it as a small wall but upside down. Still get a top and bottom plate. Still have 2X4 16" on center. Still have insulation to separate the conditioned space from the un-conditioned space. One thing the Gbar mentioned is very important is to seal the air chase between a wall and a ceiling. When you create a soffit you create a new path that now must be sealed. Solid 2X blocking is one way or fireproof caulking (smaller areas only) You do not want an air flow since this will cause a rapid spread of any fire.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.M.G View Post
Are you serious...All i have had was Dry-wall for the last 20 years and it's been fine.

This house is in Ontario CDN
Just because nothing bad that you know about now does not make doing something wrong FINE..... It is work like this that is really going to keep the housing market down. I do about 1.5 million each year just fixing all this fine work after it fails.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Basically, 7 pieces of wood. The 3 reds can be the same length, and the 4 others (green & blue) can be identical. It won't go together QUITE like I've drawn it, but it will work either way..... except as I've drawn it, one red will be 3" shorter than the other two.

The PURPLE blocks are the fire blocking. You can see clearly how they stop a fire in the lower wall from flaming up into the cavity above the shower, then quickly on upwards to your daughter's bedroom... or to the attic area, then spreading all across the house. Fire blocking buys TIME! Time to get your loved ones out of the house, and time for the fire department to extinguish the blaze before it consumes your whole house. It is not only illegal not to install it, but also pretty foolish, considering the cost in lives and damage it can save.

Remember that the brakes you had on your first auto stopped the vehicle just fine.......... in about 75m. So why bother with Anti Lock Braking Systems, better pad material and better and safer tires used in today's cars? Why? Because they save lives by hauling that hurtling cage of metal down to a stop in sometimes 40m.
Attached Thumbnails
Whats the proper name for this-shower-1.jpg   Whats the proper name for this-shower-2.jpg   Whats the proper name for this-shower-3.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 11-20-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #11

Since we are on this subject now

I found this insulation stuffed here...

Should I remove it and can anything get in if I do

When we had the Roof done we asked for 10 vents to be installed,we only had 3 on 1500 Sq Ft house.

The house was always super hot too untill the central air was installed about 4 years ago.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
Remodeling Contractor

remove and replace the insulation that has black spots on it (mold)
Old 11-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #13

Attic venting: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...on?full_view=1

Figure 1/100, not as in site: http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Ice dams: http://bct.nrc.umass.edu/index.php/p...ting-ice-dams/
Your 1500 needs 5 sq. ft. of NFVA, IF you have a v.b. in attic/ceiling, ½ soffits and ½ ridge. 2.5’ x 144 = 360 sq. in. ridge at 18 sq.in.(or ?, depends on brand) per lin.ft. = 20’ of ridge or 8 ? of the 8x8 turtle backs. Depends on the size and NFVA as the site said.
Be safe, Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 11-21-2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: location
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #14

Thanks for the help everyone

This whole job has been taken out of my hands

So I don't even have to worry

I won't voluteer my time to try jobs anymore

But thanks for the advice