Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #1

Share |

What's behind this paneled basement wall?

I would like to replace the paneling in my lower level den with drywall. The thing is that I'm not really sure what's behind the paneling. When I remove a faceplate for a Coax outlet for TV, it looks like its furring strips on cinderblock wall with no insulation. But then if I remove an electrical outlet plate or switch plate, It's almost 3" in depth, so it looks like standard size boxes. Did they actually cut into the cinderblock wall?

See, when I rip it out I need to decide on a few things.

If it's furring strips... well then I might want to re-frame it with 2x3"s at least and drylock the walls or proper vapor barrier and good insulation. But if that's the right way to do it, then I have to budget time and money accordingly. Couple things to think about... carpeting / tack strips... if reframing that has to be adjusted, and I want to keep the carpet for now.

I've attached some pics. One is the width of the interior doorway. Yes there is one interior wall that I wouldn't really have to do anything to except hang the drywall.
Attached Thumbnails
What's behind this paneled basement wall?-den-av-outlet-clearance.jpg   What's behind this paneled basement wall?-den-av-outlet-clearance-2.jpg   What's behind this paneled basement wall?-den-electric-outlet-clearance-2.jpg   What's behind this paneled basement wall?-den-interior-wall-thickness.jpg  

cypherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

First picture looks like just a plaster ring was used for the cable, and the furring is only 3/4" THICK (1X2'S most likely).

I can only imagine that the boxes in the second pic are recessed (block smashed out) into the block wall.

Before you go installing Dryloc, insulation, & a vapor barrier, you'd be well served by doing some searching around here in previous threads to see what your climate dictates for materials & procedures. Lots of info archived here...........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #3

I had that exact situation in a house I used to own. It was built in 1959 or so. Not only were the outlet boxes set into the blocks, the wiring ran through them too. It was a walkout basement, and you could almost hear the wind whistling around the outlets. Not much concern for energy efficiency in those days.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #4

Ug, that sucks.

Guess I should reframe it, loose a few inches and fill those holes with quickreate or something.

If I ever want to mount a TV on the wall, I don't think furring strips would do!
cypherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Is this wire Hot?

I'll bet in those days they never could have imagined hanging TV's on walls either
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote