Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

What is a typical permitting process like?

I'm planning on adding some wiring to my garage and am curious to know what the "average" permit process is like.

After submitting my permit request (and assuming it is approved), do the inspectors have to look at the building before any work begins?

sheslostcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheslostcontrol View Post
I'm planning on adding some wiring to my garage and am curious to know what the "average" permit process is like.

After submitting my permit request (and assuming it is approved), do the inspectors have to look at the building before any work begins?

Step 1. contact building inspection office
Step 2. Ask them what the process is

Each state has their own process and rules. Further, your local city, county may have different rules than the state does. Further, each jurisdiction has different enforcment rules

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fireguy For This Useful Post:
Thurman (12-18-2010)
Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

Here's how easy it could be: I live in a County, not the City. In the County here if you have an existing "garage/shop/outbuilding" which is not attached to the "living area" of the home, you may darn well do most anything you want to it without obtaining permit(s). Totally different story within the City limits. If you have the same building sitting on property within the City limits you would have to obtain a permit to run "any new circuit" with electricity and be licensed, you can change out switches, outlets. But you cannot run any HVAC or new plumbing without a license. So see, different rules for each municipality.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

It all depends. Call the town and they can tell you. For my deck, I went to city hall and applied. They called me the next day and told me I could start digging. Then they came out and checked the depth of the holes for the footings and when it gets above 40 degrees in March sometime and I finish the stairs, they'll come back and give me final approval.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Thurman, I'd challenge that, I've never heard of an area where the homeowner needs a license to do simple work like a new circuit on their own primary residence.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Where I live (and I hear it's the same most places) homeowners are allowed to be their own contractor for building & electrical. We have to have our work inspected just like a licensed contractor to ensure the work is done correctly.

I got my permits this AM, so I'm all set.
sheslostcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcherr View Post
Thurman, I'd challenge that, I've never heard of an area where the homeowner needs a license to do simple work like a new circuit on their own primary residence.
East Williston, NY for one. Munsey Park, Great Neck, Baxter Estates, Port Washington, Garden City, etc.....
There are hundreds, if not thousands of small villages and locales with this restriction.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
East Williston, NY for one. Munsey Park, Great Neck, Baxter Estates, Port Washington, Garden City, etc.....
There are hundreds, if not thousands of small villages and locales with this restriction.
Ron
Yep, East coast, where nobody knows nothin cept the contractors, and licenced installers, what a crock of poop!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,088

In the town where I live, the homeowner can do their own plumbing, electric, HVAC etc without a permit and no inspection. Structural work you need a permit, but they won't say anything unless someone complains. The county here is not zoned, so no building permits needed for anything. You can build your house from the ground up with no codes except for a septic tank.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Rusty, Where do you live?
I think I might want to move there.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

Missouri, land of the free and home of the poor,
Old 12-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
In the town where I live, the homeowner can do their own plumbing, electric, HVAC etc without a permit and no inspection. Structural work you need a permit, but they won't say anything unless someone complains. The county here is not zoned, so no building permits needed for anything. You can build your house from the ground up with no codes except for a septic tank.
Most cities in this area of Missouri (KC) will allow home owners to pull permits for electrical etc., but only if you reside in the property. If it is a rental or investment property, permits can only be pulled by a contractor that is licensed in that area.
KCMO Inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

I rewired my house about 5 years ago. No permit or inspection needed if the homeowner does it. I lived and worked in the KC area for 20 years. On the Kansas side, I think you need an oxygen consumption permit to breathe.

Last edited by rusty baker; 12-22-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Tags
electrical, inspection, permits