What Type Of Filtering System Should I Use For Drinking Water? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What type of filtering system should i use for drinking water?

i have well water. my drinking water bypasses the softener system. i currently have a filter for my drinking water that prevents chlorine, odor, and sediment.

i feel like i should be filtering my drinking water more. i'm curious what filtering you all use for your drinking water, and what other filtering you would recommend.

thanks!

Advertisement

19mquinn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19mquinn79 View Post
i have well water. my drinking water bypasses the softener system. i currently have a filter for my drinking water that prevents chlorine, odor, and sediment.

i feel like i should be filtering my drinking water more. i'm curious what filtering you all use for your drinking water, and what other filtering you would recommend.

thanks!
You would have the water tested first. What sort of filtering is done would be based on your results.
What other people do is irrelevant.
Are you on well water or a municipal system?
Do you have "hard" water?
Test first, then taylor the system to it.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,170

Contact your nearest water treatment company, and ask if they can tell you where to get your water tested, then, with knowlege of what you need to filter, return to the water treatment company. The last time that I got a water test, I think that it was about $50 or so, but that can vary, depending on prevalent minerals, etc. in your area, and how many types of test may be necessary. You can get sanitary containers for your samples from your lcoal pharmacy, and take your sample from a kitchen or bathroom sink, with the aerator removed. Outdoor spiggots and aerators can lead to misleading levels of coli, not ecoli, but coli, and you want to get as clean a sample as possible, in order to address any real issues that you may have. Or you can forego testing, stop at your lcoal hardware or big box, and purchase whatever they have on the shelf. Not as efficient, but that is what many people do.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

thanks for your responses. i do plan on getting my water tested, but let's just assume for now that i have an "average" amount of sediment in my well water. i am hoping to hear what some other people with well water do: what type of filter do you use for your whole house water, and what type do you use for your drinking water?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'm on a well and use a whole house filter, softener & UV light. I don't bother with any other filtration for my drinking water because the well does not contain chlorine (and I doubt yours does) and all the sediment & odor is removed by the whole house filtration system.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
thanks for your responses. i do plan on getting my water tested, but let's just assume for now that i have an "average" amount of sediment in my well water. i am hoping to hear what some other people with well water do: what type of filter do you use for your whole house water, and what type do you use for your drinking water?
I oversee a house in upstate NY with well water. The house had a water sofening system and we added a sediment /iron filter system to it. The company rep came to the house and did an on the spot water test to come up with a preliminary recommendation and sent it to a lab for a follow up. The filter screens the whole house, it isn't separated as the house isn't plumbed that way. No house is.
Again, the filter system was based on a test.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
I'm on a well and use a whole house filter, softener & UV light. I don't bother with any other filtration for my drinking water because the well does not contain chlorine (and I doubt yours does) and all the sediment & odor is removed by the whole house filtration system.
Thanks. Just curious, what type of filter do you use for the whole house filter? just a basic sediment filter, or something stronger? do you know what brand?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,170

After determing that we needed only a basic sediment/iron filter, I talked with my water treatment guys, opted for a reusable filter, and bought two filters and two bowls. When it's time to change them, I replace both the filter and bowl, put the dirty ones in a bucket to soak for a few days, then rinse them out, put them in a bag, and set them back on the shelf, ready for the next time. I can't tell you the brand off the top of my head, but I bought what they recommended, and we have had no problems with taste or odor.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Thanks. Just curious, what type of filter do you use for the whole house filter? just a basic sediment filter, or something stronger? do you know what brand?
5 micron. I buy from a former employer, but cannot remember the name offhand.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Filers are rated in absolute and nominal contaminant removal efficiency. A best filter for well water sediment and dissolved iron particles removal is absolute 3 micron. Cylindrical depth style filters are priced lower compared to pleated filters. You can purchase cylindrical depth filters from McMaster Carr or Grainger. I recommend purchasing one micron rating since these two companies only carry nominal rated cartridges.
kaivanforoughi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 512

I also have UV and sediment systems. I have a reverse osmosis system under the sink, from which we get our drinking water. The water is safe once it passes through the UV system (the well water tested high on the coliform count before we installed the system), but it tastes better after the RO. The UV system, IMHO, is a slam dunk compared to chlorine. The annoyance and small cost of changing the UV bulb once a year (and maybe accidentally cracking the stupid quartz sleeve) far outweighs the nasty taste and side issues of chlorinated water. Plus, the UV system looks cooler in your basement.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

For filtering water completely take a help from water treatment services because before filtering water first it should be tested by expert, they check all the factors of water then provide the solution.

Advertisement

kevin11 is offline   Reply With Quote