Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #1

Share |

What tool do I need??

I am trying to remove the brass mounting nut from the underside of a widespread faucet in the bathroom. There is not much room under there and I was unable to take the nut off with a regular wrench. I tried a basin wrench, but again there wasn't much room to get the basin wrench in around the nut. I also bought the RIDGID faucet installer tool but the valve is too big for the shaft of the tool so I can't even get the tool up to the nut. The nut may be around 1.25" and the tool is 1 and 1/16".

The plumbing is probably about 20 years old(original). What tool do I need?! I am not sure how they even installed the thing! The only way I can think of is that they installed them on the sink and then laid down the sink. I do not want to remove the sink! Not sure if this is a small project or what. Is there some type of slotted socket wrench out there? I see shower valves that are 1 to 1.5" that would work for the spout nut, but the hot and cold nuts have valves out to the side, so there needs to be a slot. Should I buy a shower valve and then cut a slot?(Don't have any metal cutting tools though)

Thanks!

wholeinone04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #2

What tool do I need??

Was able to get the faucet off but not sure what to do about the hot and cold nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
What tool do I need??-photo-5-.jpg   What tool do I need??-photo-4-.jpg   What tool do I need??-photo-3-.jpg  

wholeinone04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #3

What tool do I need??

There are inexpensive basin wrenches available, but you only need something to hold the bottom nuts, or the valve body. The top chrome nuts are what holds the valve bodies in place. Water pump slip joint or similar pliers usually works there. They unscrew and the body comes out the bottom.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #4

What tool do I need??

It's called a basin wrench.