What Tool Do I Need?? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

What tool do I need??

I am trying to remove the brass mounting nut from the underside of a widespread faucet in the bathroom. There is not much room under there and I was unable to take the nut off with a regular wrench. I tried a basin wrench, but again there wasn't much room to get the basin wrench in around the nut. I also bought the RIDGID faucet installer tool but the valve is too big for the shaft of the tool so I can't even get the tool up to the nut. The nut may be around 1.25" and the tool is 1 and 1/16".

The plumbing is probably about 20 years old(original). What tool do I need?! I am not sure how they even installed the thing! The only way I can think of is that they installed them on the sink and then laid down the sink. I do not want to remove the sink! Not sure if this is a small project or what. Is there some type of slotted socket wrench out there? I see shower valves that are 1 to 1.5" that would work for the spout nut, but the hot and cold nuts have valves out to the side, so there needs to be a slot. Should I buy a shower valve and then cut a slot?(Don't have any metal cutting tools though)



wholeinone04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

Was able to get the faucet off but not sure what to do about the hot and cold nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
What tool do I need??-photo-5-.jpg   What tool do I need??-photo-4-.jpg   What tool do I need??-photo-3-.jpg  


wholeinone04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 3,118
Rewards Points: 2,000

There are inexpensive basin wrenches available, but you only need something to hold the bottom nuts, or the valve body. The top chrome nuts are what holds the valve bodies in place. Water pump slip joint or similar pliers usually works there. They unscrew and the body comes out the bottom.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
joed's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 13,249
Rewards Points: 13,294
Blog Entries: 11

It's called a basin wrench.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clamping tool or Oscilating tool for a DIY'r-you can only pick one which would it be? whataboutj Tools 12 11-29-2010 07:12 AM
Review: Harbor Freight Oscillating Tool Tedstor Tools 0 07-13-2010 02:24 AM
Need Help with re-design ttwiss Remodeling 21 05-08-2010 10:27 PM
Fein's Multimaster Tool...don't let the price scare you! CrossWorks Tools 13 04-18-2009 06:39 PM
Drywall Inside Corner Tool? helpless handyman Drywall & Plaster 24 02-19-2009 06:02 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1