What Tool Is This - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10

what tool is this

i saw a person use this neat tool. What is it called? It looks like a cane with no handle if i remember right. he set it on the floor in the corner of the room, then he took it to another corner and did the same thing. he was measuring the floor to see if it was level, then he set it in the middle of the floor...he did this through my whole house..what is this tool?


sn604s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Civil Engineer
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,680
Rewards Points: 4,940

Your description is pretty vague, but it could be a fluid level. The Zip Corporation makes a fluid level that uses a pole with a detection box on top, you zero the level, then you move from place to place, and it measures the difference in elevation.


Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-21-2012), oh'mike (01-21-2012), sn604s (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10

daniel, yo the man....I have an engineer coming to my house on monday....i found out my house was deceptively sold as a 2011 when in fact it is a 2006? Hello..how did that happen? Small town big bucks or a good forgery..lol any how, the foundation of this house failed so he couldnt put it on the market. it sat vacant untill i bought the painted cow pie last june....my foot went through the floor in the entrance way, so my ears perked up...my husband and i are both disabled. I wrote the director of urban development and he answered me in hours. i sent him some pics.
he had all my inspections and permits to my home in my hot little hands in 2 hours!!my husband and i.. well our mouths fell open...he goes" huh, this file looks suspicious" well thats how we found out. the foudation failed from the city in 2006...the builder waited all these years to unload it....I have attorneys in line willing to work on a contingence fee..we interviewed them..lol. anyway this home was insured as a 2011 new home, its still under builders warranty!...............anyway, come to find out you can only access the back half of the home, its a pier and beam. the warranty people suggested to the engineer (they are contracting) to bring a flashlight...my question to you or anyone else thats qualified is this: What type of tools will the engineer use if they have no access under the home to see if the structure is good and safe?
sn604s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp
Aggie67's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 748
Rewards Points: 826

The home warranty corporation is bringing in their own engineer to inspect the house? Look at your policy and educate yourself a little before the engineer gets there. The warranty policies are usually written in a "performance", "action", and "comment" format for each component of the home. In your case, the rot and holes in the floor near the doors sound like water penetration issues (wind driven rain, as stated in one of your other posts). You need to read up on the applicable clauses, like storm doors and moisture barriers. You may be able to spot the defects yourself and point them out to the warranty corp's engineer. Best bet is to have your own engineer go through the home with your policy in his/her hand, and write an unbiased report. Then give your engineer's report to your lawyer. Regardless, it may come down to warranty dates and coverage. Things like storm door performance are usually year 1 to year 3 items.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aggie67 For This Useful Post:
sn604s (01-22-2012)

measure level floor

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What tool do I need?? wholeinone04 General DIY Discussions 3 11-07-2011 07:54 AM
Clamping tool or Oscilating tool for a DIY'r-you can only pick one which would it be? whataboutj Tools 12 11-29-2010 07:12 AM
Review: Harbor Freight Oscillating Tool Tedstor Tools 0 07-13-2010 02:24 AM
Need Help with re-design ttwiss Remodeling 21 05-08-2010 10:27 PM
Fein's Multimaster Tool...don't let the price scare you! CrossWorks Tools 13 04-18-2009 06:39 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1