DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   What ticks you off about Home Depot & Lowe’s? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/what-ticks-you-off-about-home-depot-lowe-s-16538/)

dyier 02-02-2008 10:23 PM

What ticks you off about Home Depot & Lowe’s?
 
For me it is how they have become slaves of Wallstreet and not caring as much anymore about main street, their customers and employees. They seem to have thrown most of the retired ex tradesman under the bus and replaced them with inexperienced people who they can pay minimum wage. Ad insult to injury they under staff the stores with this new breed of employee. And the corporate bean counters sitting in their ivory towers can’t seem to figure out why they are losing customers and their stock price is declining. So much for the bottom line, I call that stupid is as stupid does!

nacko 02-02-2008 10:28 PM

I like the fact that if I go in there to buy lumber when they open (like many other contractors do), that is the time that they choose to close the lumber isles and stock them. I also like that they often have exactly half of the items I need to complete any normal job (the stuff they sell most is in stock but not the items needed to finish the job)

blowmax10 02-02-2008 10:58 PM

yeah i hate that all the people that work there just know how to stock the shelves - no one can answer even a basic question

i asked one question about the rating of wiring needed for a light that i bought and the store manager had to come out and still gave me the wrong answer

dyier 02-02-2008 11:15 PM

I like when you come down an aisle, the employee pulls out the phone like they have an important call, then turns around and books.

We are on to that one kids.

cheyenne 02-03-2008 07:32 AM

I like how the check out clerks will spend unlimited amounts of time to find the the price or code for one .25 item some guy is trying to buy, while a line of people wait to be checked out. Real smart. Real profitable. I've gotten so frustrated at this I've walked out and left hundreds of dollars of merchandise setting on the floor.

Sammy 02-03-2008 08:25 AM

I assume from the git go when going to Homey that the sales people know very little. They only work there part time afterall... Although I do know some people in some departments are very informative.

Of course their job is to close off the aisle YOU need to get to to restock and make you wait 20 minutes so you'll mill around and buy more stuff. [so they think]

Down our way lately they have people walking around the store with clipboards trying to SELL you installed windows, siding, etc in a DIY STORE!
Let me just say I have had some words with them and informed them if they dont stop it, I would shop elsewhere.

Then there is the "Hotel California" effect where you cant checkout because there is only ONE checkout line with 20 people already in line. Or you can try thier new "self checkout/just shove money at us because we dont feel your worth enough to have a live person help you do business with us and take your money."

We're lucky enough to have a Lowes and Homey right across the street from each other...

Alpha Kennybody 02-03-2008 09:24 AM

HD is the greatest thing since the invention of fire.

gregzoll 02-03-2008 09:24 AM

Not enough employees, or employees that know what they are doing. I can go to Ace, and get better service, and the employees know what they are doing, and talking about.

Sammy 02-03-2008 09:30 AM

Ace is a good place to go.. Most of their employees know what they are talking about.

We had one down the street that closed four-five years ago... Amazingly they are now reopening a new store not far from the old one.

Interestingly, most of their stores are franchises/owner involved operations.
Therefore, they have a vested intrest in keeping customers happy...

Novel concept huh?

gregzoll 02-03-2008 09:37 AM

We probably do 90% of our business at the Local Ace, due to the fact that they are close & within the neighborhood, I can get my pool supplies there without wondering around a store to find them, and always find something else that I need.

I did have to go to the local Super Menard's a week ago to get a Whole House Surge, due to Ace did not have it.

NothingsLevel 02-03-2008 10:12 AM

Every one of them is laid out different.

There are 3 Lowes' and 2 HDs that, based upon the day & what other errands I'm running, I might go into. Every one of them is laid out differently, which means it takes far too long for me to find anything. I wandered the Lowe's closest to home for 15 minutes one day trying to find air filters for my furnace.

slickshift 02-03-2008 10:16 AM

I'm a capitalist, and can respect the corporation for what it has accomplished in a capitalistic sense
They are truly a marketing...and pricing.... genius

However, their huge focus on CPV has destroyed quality expectations
CPV is the de-specing of product to lower price
(it's a common focus in companies like W*M and HD)

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickshift (Post 4117)
It's CPV

Lets say Porter-Cable has a framing saw, you see it in your local tool shop for...say $189
It's quiet, light, strong, and has a great blade
You shop around a bit and see it in HD for less
It's only $159...what a bargain!

Hold on there partner, here's what happened
HD brass saw the P/C saw and said great, we want to carry that, but we want to charge less than $189
P/C says we can't lower our price to you, it's a great price

Now comes the CPV
Customer Perceived Value

Big Box says well, our average customer won't see the value (extra $) of that magnesium guide...can you make it steel?
Our avg. cust won't perceive the value of those fancy motor bushings, or that fancy blade
Make your saw for us to these new specs and we'll carry your saw
And we'll sell it for $159

If P/C says no, then Big Box won't carry a P/C framing saw

Voila, Home Despot has a de-spec'd P/C saw that looks like the one at the local tool shop

The irony is the local tool shop would charge $139 if they carried it
But they won't carry it, as it's not up the their standards

Now, it's not that HD doesn't have it's uses
But just go in with your eyes WIDE open

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickshift (Post 9431)
HD is not able to lower consumer costs simply through "volume" alone
By the volume of products they sell to consumers, they are able to demand different (cheaper) specs than other retailers
It's what is called "Customer Perceived Value" or CPV

Right now W*M and HD sell most of the lawnmowers in the U.S.
The Honda engines in those riding mowers are NOT the Honda engines in your landscaper's/groundskeeper's mowers that those guys and girls swear by
They are cheapos with a Honda badge because Honda wanted a piece of the pie

Those John Deere's are not the same JD's that are down at the local power equipment dealer
Not by a long shot

HD/W*M feels the average HD/W*M lawnmower customer doesn't perceive the value of the little pieces that make a great JD
They just want the name JD and they want it as cheap as possible

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickshift (Post 5963)
The de-spec'ing of tools I mentioned above extends to hardware, sundries, paint, all materials
Volume sounds like the simple answer as to why HD is cheaper
But it's not really all that simple
Any 2, 3, or even 10 percent discount that HD would get is swallowed up by the problems associated with huge volumes and low-payed employees
Warehouse and floor damage, returns, lost, stolen...it just goes on...
They simply cannot keep damage/loss down like a store or small chain can

The product, materials, service, must be cheaper from the manufacturer
It must be de-spec'd
If that means cheesing out on QC then that's the way to do it

If that means putting 6 oz. of BIN in the 10 oz. spray can so it looks like the same one in your local paint store, than that's the way to do it
It says 6 oz on it, there's no lying involved...technically

Manufactured exclusively for HD is not a good thing

Now, after all that, you'd think I wouldn't set foot in there
Well, I will probably be going this afternoon
But it's for batteries and a piece of 2" thick foam insulation
Which, with my luck, they'll be out of

Again, they have their uses
But just don't think for one second that the quality of the tools you see there is the same as your local tool store, hardware store, or tool specialty chain
Don't think for one moment the lumber you find there is even close to the quality of the lumber at your local lumberyard

And for the love of God, don't ask anyone for any help or advise

LawnGuyLandSparky 02-03-2008 02:32 PM

[quote]I'm a capitalist, and can respect the corporation for what it has accomplished in a capitalistic sense
They are truly a marketing...and pricing.... genius

However, their huge focus on CPV has destroyed quality expectations
CPV is the de-specing of product to lower price
(it's a common focus in companies like W*M and HD)


Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift http://www.diychatroom.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
It's CPV

Lets say Porter-Cable has a framing saw, you see it in your local tool shop for...say $189
It's quiet, light, strong, and has a great blade
You shop around a bit and see it in HD for less
It's only $159...what a bargain!

Hold on there partner, here's what happened
HD brass saw the P/C saw and said great, we want to carry that, but we want to charge less than $189
P/C says we can't lower our price to you, it's a great price

Now comes the CPV
Customer Perceived Value

Big Box says well, our average customer won't see the value (extra $) of that magnesium guide...can you make it steel?
Our avg. cust won't perceive the value of those fancy motor bushings, or that fancy blade
Make your saw for us to these new specs and we'll carry your saw
And we'll sell it for $159

If P/C says no, then Big Box won't carry a P/C framing saw

Voila, Home Despot has a de-spec'd P/C saw that looks like the one at the local tool shop

The irony is the local tool shop would charge $139 if they carried it
But they won't carry it, as it's not up the their standards

Actually, the local tool shop CAN'T carry the dumbed-down version. The HD's and LOWES and WALMARTS and BJ's, COSTCO, PRICE CLUBS, get their name brand stock with unique model numbers built in.

Take an American Standard model # ABC-123 faucet at a plumber's supply in pewter finish, and actually WEIGH it against any of the "discounter's" version of the exact same faucet. Weighs 1/2 as much!


Now, it's not that HD doesn't have it's uses
But just go in with your eyes WIDE open

And don't EVER BELIEVE that a manufacturer supplies a chain store with 1/2 price merchandise just because they order so much. This is what the "dicsounters" want you to believe - that you get the same product at a lower price. YOU DO NOT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift http://www.diychatroom.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
HD is not able to lower consumer costs simply through "volume" alone
By the volume of products they sell to consumers, they are able to demand different (cheaper) specs than other retailers
It's what is called "Customer Perceived Value" or CPV

Right now W*M and HD sell most of the lawnmowers in the U.S.
The Honda engines in those riding mowers are NOT the Honda engines in your landscaper's/groundskeeper's mowers that those guys and girls swear by
They are cheapos with a Honda badge because Honda wanted a piece of the pie

Those John Deere's are not the same JD's that are down at the local power equipment dealer
Not by a long shot

HD/W*M feels the average HD/W*M lawnmower customer doesn't perceive the value of the little pieces that make a great JD
They just want the name JD and they want it as cheap as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift http://www.diychatroom.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
The de-spec'ing of tools I mentioned above extends to hardware, sundries, paint, all materials
Volume sounds like the simple answer as to why HD is cheaper
But it's not really all that simple
Any 2, 3, or even 10 percent discount that HD would get is swallowed up by the problems associated with huge volumes and low-payed employees
Warehouse and floor damage, returns, lost, stolen...it just goes on...
They simply cannot keep damage/loss down like a store or small chain can

The product, materials, service, must be cheaper from the manufacturer
It must be de-spec'd
If that means cheesing out on QC then that's the way to do it

If that means putting 6 oz. of BIN in the 10 oz. spray can so it looks like the same one in your local paint store, than that's the way to do it
It says 6 oz on it, there's no lying involved...technically

Manufactured exclusively for HD is not a good thing

Now, after all that, you'd think I wouldn't set foot in there
Well, I will probably be going this afternoon
But it's for batteries and a piece of 2" thick foam insulation
Which, with my luck, they'll be out of

Again, they have their uses
But just don't think for one second that the quality of the tools you see there is the same as your local tool store, hardware store, or tool specialty chain
Don't think for one moment the lumber you find there is even close to the quality of the lumber at your local lumberyard

And for the love of God, don't ask anyone for any help or advise.

When the discounters open a new location, they eithe hire or MOVE the experienced personnel to the new location. Customers flock, the store is well staffed, and everyone is happy... in the begining... After a few months the stores beging to shed the higher-paid personnel, and start to whittle the full time employees hours down to part time status in order to get them to quit. (Don't want layoffs, that'll raise unemployment premiums.)

The manager's bonus is tied to the store's profits. #1 expense and the easiest the manager can control is hours worked by staff. (They can't even turn the lights on and off - that's done via satallite through headquarters!) By the time the dust settles, the plumbing department has a "broken" sign on the threading machine because nobody has time to assist customers AND thread pipe. You have to push a call button to get wire cut. And you can't ask for advice because the only people left are the ones stupid enough to work in a store that schedules it's employees for 6 4-hour shifts.

handyman78 02-04-2008 01:38 PM

"Actually, the local tool shop CAN'T carry the dumbed-down version.The HD's and LOWES and WALMARTS and BJ's, COSTCO, PRICE CLUBS, get their name brand stock with unique model numbers built in. "

While I know this does happen, this is nothing new. I remember appliance stores in my PA area like Silo's. They would often have great marketing schemes like 50% or 100% refund if you could find the item cheaper. Of course you couldn't since they "owned" the model numbers of appliances for their stores. You wouldn't be able to price compare.

HD & Lowe's do what the consumers want, give cheap prices for certain products, often by buying in significant quantities and keeping out middlemen. Supply & Demand at it's finest. Do they have everything a local hardware store does? No, not at all. They work on the masses. When I was a very young adult I would get intimidated going into electrical supply or plumbing supply houses to get what I wanted. Everything was behind the counters so you had to ask. The counter staff would often sense your apprehension and make you feel worse. I had been told often "we only work with the trades or licensed personnel". I knew exactly the work I was doing and what I needed to purchase. I was only working on my or my sibling's houses. I was amazed the products I could find when I visited my first HD in Florida in 1989! Of course this has now changed but it certainly made me feel more at ease finding what I needed or looking over the stock without being stared at by the counter staff!

Lastly, I recall years ago trying to get a part at a plumbing supply for a Moen faucet. The counter guy said if it was from HD, it was inferior and they wouldn't have it. I called Moen customer service and was told my faucet was exactly the same as the plumbing supply version. They sent me the part free.

It is just a sign of the times- American cars are made in Mexico, Japan and Korea, Japanese and Korean cars are made in the US !!!

jamison_tilne 02-04-2008 05:42 PM

Is it not quite as simple as "you get what you pay for?" I mean it's the same in all industries. Of course you can get ripped off, since paying more is not always better, but as a general rule of thumb more from some where smaller is better than less from a chain store.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved