DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What should I pay.....

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  KB Services 
#1 ·
I have two jobs that I cannot do myself and was thinking of putting a posting on Craigslist.com to see if anyone was interested. What should I expect to pay to have someone

1. Switch out my current gas stove and install an electric stove
2. Switch out a two current light fixtures with one can light and one ceiling fan.

Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
How far is the main electrical panel from the stove location?
Do you have enough amps left in your main panel for an electrical stove?

How many amps is the main panel? (60,100,150, 200???)
All good and relative points.

There isn't an estimate that really can be given as a 'basic-rate quote'.... since an electrician needs to physically see the layout of your home's electrical utility system. (Ie. - as mentioned by Redline, whether your main fuse box even has the room to add a stove appliance line on, etc...) How much time is involved to actually do the work and local Town permit requirements also effects the costs.
He or she (the electrican) would need to physically look at 'things' - decide how long it will take, permit costs, as well as all materials required.

Simply put: This 'stove job' is not an easily priced job, that an electrician could provide an estimate 'sight-unseen', 'on the forum', or simply 'over the phone'....
Whover you use (if they have any kind of electrical work experience) - Will want to come out and inspect the job prior to quoting an accurate estimate.

#4 ·
Swap a gas range for electric?

Before you start swapping appliances, Are you sure that you want to swap your gas range for electric. Unless you are served by an electric supplier that generates either nuclear or hydro electric power, you will probably pay more to power the electric range than the gas. Although you may like to bake with electric better than gas, and the self-clean functions better on electric ranges, you will fry and boil with greater efficiency with gas.

Steve Wangel
Kitchen Designer

#6 ·
Electric? Why? Looks or features? Stay gas better tempature controll and more efficient. Do you have easy access to the inside of the wall you want to put it on. Will the electrician have trouble runnning the wire? Look for a gas unit you might like. Pay me now or save later? Best of luck.:wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.