What To Put Around The Perimeter Of A Fence To Keep A Dog From Digging Out? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 532

What to put around the perimeter of a fence to keep a dog from digging out?

Im sorry if this is in the wrong area.
I have a large dog, she is a spotted labrador and at six months old, she is already tall enough to be able to jump up and put her front paws on my shoulders. She is also a digger, as is the normal behavior of a lab.
When we move to the new trailer, i will need some sort of fence to keep her in, but the simple dog fencing my mom has her in now barely holds her and she will get much bigger than she is now, so i doubt it will hold her when she is fully grown. I am considering a wood privacy fence for this reason.
The problem is her digging. We shove cinder blocks into the holes she digs now, but i dont want to have to do that for the rest of her life. Is there anything i can put around the perimeter of the fence to keep her from digging out?

I considered cementing the whole area inside the fence, but then i would have to be out there nearly every day scooping up her poop to keep the yard looking nice, and that is a pain. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

How big of an area are we talking?

Around small areas of fence I've found that just putting something like flagstone down keeps my dog from digging (or, at least, keeps his digging from accomplishing anything).

Advertisement

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

There's only so much you can do with any fence.
Most of the job is in training and exercising the dog. LINK

With a chain link fence... something to keep the bottom rigid will help:
try a piece of bar threaded through the bottom links then staked down.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
creeper (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

the fence will cover about a 20' x 50' area.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Also if its a wood fence you can bury some strips of welded wire or fencing to make it extend below ground level. I have four dogs, digging is a bad dog behavior and they should be taught that. It is also a sure sign the dog is not getting enough exercise, try walking or fetching more, burn off that energy. If the same holes keep reappearing, at the fence or anywhere in the yard, I gather up all of the dog poop I can find (not hard with four factories) and bury it in the hole, with a thin layer of dirt on top, they won't dig there again. Good luck.
tahomerepairs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tahomerepairs For This Useful Post:
creeper (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

Youve never had a lab, have you? Digging is in their nature, it doesnt matter how often you walk them, they dig to cool off, they dig cuz theyre bored, they dig to escape. With a full blood labrador, there is no getting around it. Even the 17 year old labrador i had a few years back dug holes, even with arthritis.
My mom suggested burying two stacked rows of solid cinder blocks around the perimeter, and cementing the poles of the wood fence down next to the blocks. Do you think that would work? Or is that just a lot of work for nothing?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahomerepairs View Post
I have four dogs, digging is a bad dog behavior and they should be taught that. It is also a sure sign the dog is not getting enough exercise, try walking or fetching more, burn off that energy.
Look, this is off-topic, but every dog is different just like every person is different, and some dogs dig. Some do it for a reason, some just do it because they do it. Just like some dogs are lazy and some are energetic; some eat anything they can and some you have to force to eat, and a million other things that have NOTHING to do with training or how much exercise they get.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
ThatDaveGuy (05-25-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Electric (buried) barrier. Works like a charm. And after a few weeks, many dogs don't even have to wear the collar any longer. They quickly learn their boundaries, and won't go within three or four feet of the edge of the property.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (05-23-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 640

http://www.cesarsway.com/askcesar/ob...o-Stop-Digging
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,002

TP,
post a few pics of your dog, never heard of a spotted lab. I'm on my second yellow lab, she's 13 weeks old now.
I have seen people around here take some 24" tall fencing and attach part of it to the bottom of the fence, then dig on the inside and bend the fence so it forms an L-shape. The horizontal part of the L is covered with about 2" of dirt and compacted. Once the dog starts digging and hits the fence under the dirt they stop. Works good on groundhogs too.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 508

Raise chickens inside the fence, dog will have no desire to go outside the fence.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #12

thanks for all of the replies. spotted labs are extremely rare and usually undesirable due to them being unable to be registered with the akc regardless of their pure bloodlines. we actually own two spotted labs and two pure color labs, but only the one belongs to me, the rest are my moms. they came from the same litter, same parents, and yet one is totally black, one is totally silver, one is white with silver spots and the other, mine, is white with black spots. i have a picture of her but its on my work computer so i have to wait until tuesday to post
Old 05-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sorry, and of course each dog has a different personality but I am going to side with those suggesting some early obedience and behavior training will do lots for you---not only with the digging challenge. It may not arrest all the creative things a lab can get into but will help. They are quick learners and their are few species, from my experience, as anxious to please. Training them when young will yield a lifetime of more comfortable living with a fairly large dog. Money on training will be well spent and I think some of the pet store chains offer it for free? They love having labs in the class.

Burying the underground fence with collar system really works well at keeping them within bounds and as mentioned, you will not need to collar for long. Obviously the love walks, chasing sticks, water and swimming, and ATTENTION! Let me assure you they are absolutely worthless as watch dogs because they love everybody. They are loyal and defensive if ever they sense you in danger directly though.

I too would love to see some pictures of spotted labs. I honestly don't think I have ever seen one, or if I did, I did not know what I was looking at.

Last edited by user1007; 05-25-2013 at 07:44 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Something like this would work... http://www.digdefence.com/

Or as a DIY... bury chicken wire at the base of the fence. Burry down 1 foot, then into the yard 1 foot, like an L shape.

More reading... http://humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/digging.html
daveplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #15

Thank you all for your suggestions. i am not sure what we will go with, but i appreciate the help. As requested, i am attaching a couple pics of my pup. She is about six months old, and the closeup was taken a couple of days ago, the other pic is her with her three siblings, all four came from the same litter. They are all full blood labs, mom was a silver lab, dad was a black lab, grandparents were all black and brown labs. Ive done some research, and apparently this is just a mutated gene that pops up every once in a while, even amongst purebred champion puppies.
In the closeup you can see her spots, in the other you can see how spotted she is, and her sister Stormy is the grey and white spotty. Please do not berate me and insist that she is not a labrador, ive seen her bloodline, believe me she is 100% pureblood Labrador.
Attached Thumbnails
What to put around the perimeter of a fence to keep a dog from digging out?-perdy.jpg   What to put around the perimeter of a fence to keep a dog from digging out?-perdy2.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to TrailerParadise For This Useful Post:
TheBobmanNH (05-30-2013)