Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What options do I have for a 48" opening?

I have a single pane sliding glass door that I would like to replace. It is 48" wide. What are my options with an opening of this size. Is this a common size or is it a special order door? Any recommendations on which brand and model to get would be appreciated.

Thank you

pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Do you really mean a 48" opening, or a 48" door unit there now? 48" is a common size door unit, so you would have a few options;
a hinged door with a single sidelite
a french door unit
if not an often used door, you could get a smaller hinged door coupled with a pair of small sidelites for a balanced look

The best start is to verify the rough opening space you have. This will require carefully prying the existing door casing off. If it is truly a 48" opening, your choice will probably be narrowed to a hinged door/single side lite, unless you want to go the custom built $$ route. Check the height also. Then you can see what is available in your region. Like everything else, more $ translates to a proportionally better product, but there is nothing wrong with the reasonably priced and commonly available brands like Stanley or Masonite. More $will get you a "premium" brand like Peachtree, Weathershield, Anderson, etc.
I strongly recommend fiberglass; stay away from the steel units which have a problem with rusting out at the bottom edge. If the door is WELL protected, like under a deep patio, you could go with wood if you like it's look or feel, otherwise fiberglass.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Do you really mean a 48" opening, or a 48" door unit there now? 48" is a common size door unit, so you would have a few options;
a hinged door with a single sidelite
a french door unit
if not an often used door, you could get a smaller hinged door coupled with a pair of small sidelites for a balanced look

The best start is to verify the rough opening space you have. This will require carefully prying the existing door casing off. If it is truly a 48" opening, your choice will probably be narrowed to a hinged door/single side lite, unless you want to go the custom built $$ route. Check the height also. Then you can see what is available in your region. Like everything else, more $ translates to a proportionally better product, but there is nothing wrong with the reasonably priced and commonly available brands like Stanley or Masonite. More $will get you a "premium" brand like Peachtree, Weathershield, Anderson, etc.
I strongly recommend fiberglass; stay away from the steel units which have a problem with rusting out at the bottom edge. If the door is WELL protected, like under a deep patio, you could go with wood if you like it's look or feel, otherwise fiberglass.
Sorry, it is a 48" sliding door. I haven't measured the rough opening. How is the functionality and appearance of a 48" french door? Do they look odd since they are so small? Thanks for the help
pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #4

Sliding doors don't take up space on the inside, hinged door do, unless you have an outswing door. Outswing doors should be(not must be) protected by a roof above. The single hinged door with sidelights gives you the largest door. All the rest will have roughly a 24" door.

For brands, I like Andersen 400 series, Thermatru, Marvin. I do not like Pella, poor customer service. And I don't like most of the big box brands, tend to be bottom of the line products.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomelo View Post
Sorry, it is a 48" sliding door. I haven't measured the rough opening. How is the functionality and appearance of a 48" french door? Do they look odd since they are so small? Thanks for the help
They are a bit tight, but work as far as average pedestrian traffic, but you cannot walk through carrying much of anything, except for grocery bags or such. I like to stay away from a high number of lites in the smaller sized doors, as the just look even smaller because of the excessive divisions. I still suggest verifying the real RO dimensions before shopping, as I have found a lot of sliding door RO are too narrow and too short for a normal door unit of the same size, however they do make units that are sized to fit as replacements for sliding doors.

As you are replacing a sliding door, it leads me to think your house may have been built in the 60's or 70's, the height of the sliding patio door days. My point being that you probably also have typical for that era 24" doors on the bathrooms, so you have a reference for walking through a 24" door close at hand.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 04-01-2010 at 10:06 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troubleseeker For This Useful Post:
Big Bob (04-03-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #6

troubleseeker provided great insight and oservation with minimal input available...
A+++.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote