DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   General DIY Discussions (
-   -   what is the name for this kind of metal tube (

diy888 10-28-2012 02:12 PM

what is the name for this kind of metal tube
1 Attachment(s)
What is this type of metal tubing called?

notmrjohn 10-28-2012 02:35 PM

Its a C channel with inward fin (or flange) open seam.

DexterII 10-28-2012 03:08 PM

If it's 1-5/8" x 1-5/8", Unistrut is one of the most common manufacturer's and generic name for it.

beenthere 10-28-2012 06:14 PM

yep, unistrut.

oh'mike 10-28-2012 06:36 PM

That is used by plumbers---electricians and heating guys to mount equipment to building beams and walls----there are a lot of clips and fasteners made for that---comes in two common sizes and a couple of heavy duty odd ball sizes---

Some big box stores carry a limited stock of Uni-Strut

diy888 10-29-2012 08:01 AM

Thanks for the answers. I'd never seen it before. It looks versatile.

DIYguy2000 10-31-2012 11:41 AM

I just built a 20' span shelf overtop of my garage doors supported on 3 walls. I have the front face of the shelf supported by four 1/2" hanging threaded rod (strategically placed overtop of garage door opener rails and door rails) from these heavy duty struts lag bolted to my ceiling rafters in my finished garage. Works great!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1