What Is This? Mold/Damp/Insects? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

What is this? Mold/Damp/Insects?

Apologies if this is being posted in the wrong area. I'm not entirely sure what it is I've got or where to post.

Outside my house in Florida to the left of the bathroom window and almost directly above where the sink would sit on the other side of the wall is this:

I've poked/prodded at it and it's solid, not soft or damp feeling. The black residue flakes away. This spot wasn't here last time I checked, about two weeks ago. Now it's there? I'm thinking it's mold/damp? There's no damp inside the house on the other side of the wall. Only insects I've noticed nearby were ants where have gotten into the bathroom from time to time. I've been up on the roof and it looks good, all shingles are in place. The roof is about 5 years old and was inspected a few months ago by a home inspector and a roofing company before I bought the house.

Any thoughts suggestions would be most welcome

Advertisement

aidan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,350

Turn on your bathroom exhaust fan and see if you feel air coming out of the soffit from that spot---

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Just dirt. Clean up with a power washer.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

The house was built in the mid 90's and there was no exhaust fan installed but funny enough since I bought the place I want one installed. I plan to switch to the second bathroom which is internal with an.. exhaust fan. I'd go with the dirt theory only I've pressure washed this place just about 6 weeks ago and I've been checking outside every other week since for insects. In particular more wasps nests.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

How would dirt get up there???? It seems to be 'forming' in the channels in the siding. I'd guess mold from moisture that is forming above.

DM
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Dirt happens. Depending on what side that is on, on the house, and if there has been cool mornings, dirt can collect, even after you clean. It is possible also that if the soffits are not properly vented, there could be moisture up there from over Winter, and it drips down. My guess is, when they power washed it, they got water up into the vents, and it pulled dirt from the backside of the soffit venting down through that area.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,186

It amazes me how much dust, dirt, and bug trailings can collect in that area of a house, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's all it is. On the other hand, being in just one area, and that area being right outside an unvented bathroom, I would be inclined to try to get to that area via the attic, to see what the insulation and back side of the drywall looks like. Being in Florida though, I assume a relatively low pitch roof, so if that's not possible, possibly remove a few pieces of soffit, and have a peek with a mirror.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
It amazes me how much dust, dirt, and bug trailings can collect in that area of a house, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's all it is. On the other hand, being in just one area, and that area being right outside an unvented bathroom, I would be inclined to try to get to that area via the attic, to see what the insulation and back side of the drywall looks like. Being in Florida though, I assume a relatively low pitch roof, so if that's not possible, possibly remove a few pieces of soffit, and have a peek with a mirror.
I agree I'd pass it off as dirt if there were a few other spots not just one area that seems to be growing. Correct on the roof I'll have to go outside and remove as you suggested a few pieces of the soffit and see what's back there. I'm hoping it's just water from the pressure washing that got up there and nothing else.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

The Germans call it Schmutz und Insekt Scheiss. Wash it off.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #10

it looks like a mixture of mold and small insects to me..
planealexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #11

I believe the cause of this was termites. On the same wall near the ground the wood siding developed some soft spots. When I investigated these I found evidence of termites. I had a termite company come out to do a "free" inspection. I told them nothing about what I found to see what they would find and they found the same damage and additional termite damage at a few other places I never noticed.

Long story short about a year ago I had the house treated with Termidor. No more ants in the bathroom, no more termites and no more weird dirt/black spots forming on the siding. I checked in with the neighbors nearby to let them know I had treated for termites as I thought it'd be the right thing to do just in case the same (or other) colony was eating their property too. One neighbor was in denial they could have anything, another didn't care and commented they had termites before and told no one in the street LOL?! and the other neighbor investigated and found termites eating away at their bathroom from the inside of the wall.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to aidan80 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-09-2014)