Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #1

Share |

What to look for in cabinets-

Hello, I'm going to tackle a kitchen renovation. Going to be doing the job myself (No previous experience). Plan to live in the house for 30 years. Have a couple of young children. Any recommendations for in cabinet choice and brand?

Thanks.

sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #2

plywood box construction, no particle board. Dovetail drawers, no plastic, no MDF. Ball bearing drawer slides, preferrably, self closing and soft closing. Options like roll out shelves. Some of things that come to mind.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #3

Look for good joinery in the carcasses and drawers. Butt joints are a sign of poorly made cabinets.

As for brand...Why not go to a cabinet shop in your area instead of going for box store "brand name" cabinets? You might be suprised that for similar price points you can get better cabinets by going straight to the cabinet shop and cutting out the know-nothing box store folks.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Old School

I also vote for using a cabinet shop. Custom cabinets will be configured without the 3" spacing (fillers) increments that production cabinets utilize. You might consider frameless construction, as there is more usable space, flat bottoms on floors, and hinges that are cabinet wall mounted.

You will be given a choice of carcass materials, interior and exterior finishes, and be more closely related to its progress.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. I will check out some local cabinet places,
sharp is offline   Reply With Quote