Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

What kind of foam to get for a recliner?

Note: I am asking because I don't like to sleep on a bed, but on a recliner. The recliner is of normal average size and is similar to this.

Does any one know any kind of foam that you can put on bottom and front side of your recliner to make it more comfortable? The ones I can think of are foams topper like Memory Foam Mattress or High Density Urethan Foam Sheet.

But can someone tell me from experience what they have used or from advance knowledge that an avg. person wouldn't know?

baby327nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

They sell recliners with memory foam padding in them. If you look around you should be able to find one.

almostnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You post an interesting question and challenge. Upholsterers are rather a hidden trade. Some have done nice furniture pieces for me but when I was restoring cars the guys were amazing in shaping seats and so forth.

You might want to ferret one out of the woodwork and just chat. I would look in the phone book for furniture or automotive upholstery folks. I bet they would love your challenge!

Obviously someone designed memory foam seats for NASA. I may know someone who could help you tap that resource and private mail me if interested.

Be careful with foam materials as you explore. Flammable comes to mind as first concern for many.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You post an interesting question and challenge. Upholsterers are rather a hidden trade. Some have done nice furniture pieces for me but when I was restoring cars the guys were amazing in shaping seats and so forth.

You might want to ferret one out of the woodwork and just chat. I would look in the phone book for furniture or automotive upholstery folks. I bet they would love your challenge!
Their is already normal foam on the recliner. So, what I am looking for to put extra foam [it can be just attach with duct tape on the recliner so i don't even care about the looks] that are specifically made for this kind of job? Is their such a thing for this kind of stuff for recliners?
baby327nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I have done upholstery work, no there is not a specific recliner foam. There are different densities of foam and thicknesses.
http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/upholstery-foam.html
trickytrip is offline   Reply With Quote