Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
RDS

Share |

What insurance info should I ask a contractor for?

In the past when I've hired a contractor, it's been for permitted jobs, where the contractor provides his license and insurance info on the permit application, and the town verifies that it's current and adequate before issuing the permit, so I haven't had to worry about it directly.

Now, however, I am looking to hire someone for a small job (siding repair) that doesn't need a permit. But I want to make sure the guy is covered in case he falls off a ladder or something. What specifically should I ask him to show me as evidence of coverage?

Thanks.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #2

2 ways... 1. ask the contractor for copies of his current WC & liabilty insurance. Most have an extra current copy of these and copy of contractor lisc in there note book.

or 2. Provide your info Name address and a Fax number to contractor and ask the contractor to"have your WC & Liability carriers fax me copies of proof of coverage."
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Bob For This Useful Post:
RDS (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

This really can be scetchy business. I had two estimates from roofers one had full WC and liability and the other had liability and his subcontractors were self-employed so he claimed he didn't need Workman's comp. The only thing I could find on the web at the time was that that practice was accepted but frowned upon.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
RDS (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
RDS

OK, thanks guys, that's helpful. Gives me an idea what to ask for anyway. And I guess the main thing is to make sure whatever policy they show is current.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Household Handyman

As "Jim F" stated, this can be tricky. Within the last year in my area they arrested a roofing contractor who has been in business for years and has a good reputation. This company has been know to have two (2) to five (5) crews out doing roofs at any one time. He was charged with not paying Workman's Compensation to the State. He beat the charges by proving, in his books, that his workers were "self-employed" and he never had over three (3) people on payroll during all those years. Go figure, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
RDS (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
2 ways... 1. ask the contractor for copies of his current WC & liabilty insurance. Most have an extra current copy of these and copy of contractor lisc in there note book.

or 2. Provide your info Name address and a Fax number to contractor and ask the contractor to"have your WC & Liability carriers fax me copies of proof of coverage."
While both work I ALWAYS use #2. Insurance companies are HAPPY to send declarations to contractor's customers. If your contractor gets tetchy about this you can 1) assume they don't have it or 2) ask for their insurance co and contact them yourself.
RDS (03-31-2010)
Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
RDS

Cool. The guy I will probably hire offered to have his insurance company send me copies of his policy, so assuming that checks out, I think I'm all set. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #8

as Leah Frances advisied # 2 is best. Carriers have staff designated to this task.

Some, not all WC carriers will list workman by name that are being carried.
So you can check ID when they show up...

Exempt WC workers do present a dilemia. As noted in other post above.

exempt or sub contractor status...Very common with roofers as subs being paid by the square.

WC on Roofers can range from 38% to 53% of payroll so the sub game gets played a lot.

Siding carpenter avg WC might be 30%.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #9

When you do get a copy of the insurance certificate, be sure to check the EXPIRATION date. Most forms only provide coverage for a period of one year. Due to the struggling economy, some contractors are choosing not to renew certain coverages to save a buck which could leave you exposed.