What Garage Door Opener To Get For DH For Xmas? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

What Garage Door Opener to get for DH for Xmas?

Hey - all - man, have I been busy. But,I am making the time to install a Garage Door Opener for Dear Husband for his christmas present.

But I am at a loss for how to pick which one is best - chain/belt/screw - brands - HP - brands. I would love to hear some opinions about what GDO would make it a Merry Christmas for my DH.

I want something that will open the door quickly, have an exterior keypad, keyfob size remotes, and the standard safety stuff.

Thanks, LFW

Advertisement

Last edited by Leah Frances; 12-10-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Add some info - cause I can never let something just be.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I've been happy with the Genie screw drives.

Advertisement

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I have two, a craftsman, 1/2hp chain driven, and a genie screw 1/2hp. The craftsman came with the house 4yrs ago, read on here how to adjust to compensate for being finicky in the cold, have to say I love it, so quiet, the genie on the other hand, not so quiet, might have to do with my installation, year later still trying to get the bugs out. I know on a different site, there were alot of complaints on the craftsman, but mine works great.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Fanman

Rewards Points: 10

Have had Nutone garage door openers since 1979, they are working fine today. Chain drive, quite & reliable. They out lasted the original doors! I don't know if Nutone still makes them give'm a try.
hdhogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 150

My last two door openers have been Craftsman. The first was a 1/2 hp screw drive and it was pretty quiet and faster than the Genie next to it - also screw drive (much of the noise also depends on the rollers and track setup - cheap rollers are much louder - nylon/ball bearing much better).

Second purchase was a 3/4 hp belt drive by Craftsman. I didn't necessarily need the 3/4 hp but was quite a bit faster compared to the equivalent 1/2 hp. The belt is very quiet and I did purchase the nylon rollers. Garage is below my son's bedroom and I get home after 10 p.m.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Here's some more food for thought. This GDO is for an un-attached garage - so I don't really care about it being loud.

I went out too look at the garage tonight and I may have a problem: The garage has a dropped plywood ceiling that is very close to the top of the garage door (<6 inches). It appears that the spring that operates the door is ABOVE the ceiling in the 'attic'?

I didn't have enough time to crawl up there before DH got home - Did I mention this is going to be a surprise?

Tomorrow I will crawl up there - It's going to be awful - the garage was a starling aviary for the past ten years (Get it?). If I am not overwhelmed by the guano fumes or traumatized by the experience I will post more on Thurs. Wish me luck.

Cheers!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

So Consumer Reports reviewed garage door openers in something-like 1992. Not so useful. It seems like more than one manufacturer carry awfully similar products - rebadging?

Do I get the belt drive with the best options or the chain drive that seems more durable (in my mind) but don't get the good warranty that come with the belt drive?

AGGGH! I am getting the feeling that all the apples are oranges. And the oranges are pretty apple-y.

Help. I just want to get a NICE gift for my husband.

Last edited by Leah Frances; 12-10-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: It's eleven at night
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerwe...px?modelId=852

This is a screw drive model. We have had it for 4 years now and without any problems. Works find in the western NY cold winters. Has adjustments for more or less torque to fine tune and door opening and closing range.
creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Here's some more food for thought. This GDO is for an un-attached garage - so I don't really care about it being loud.

I went out too look at the garage tonight and I may have a problem: The garage has a dropped plywood ceiling that is very close to the top of the garage door (<6 inches). It appears that the spring that operates the door is ABOVE the ceiling in the 'attic'?

I didn't have enough time to crawl up there before DH got home - Did I mention this is going to be a surprise?

Tomorrow I will crawl up there - It's going to be awful - the garage was a starling aviary for the past ten years (Get it?). If I am not overwhelmed by the guano fumes or traumatized by the experience I will post more on Thurs. Wish me luck.

Cheers!
Just to be safe. If you're going up there, wear a respirator. Histoplasma capsulatum is a fungus that lives on bird droppings and releases spores that can cause histoplasmosis. The more droppings, the better the odds of inhaling high volumes of spores. One of the few truly documented dangerous molds.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote