Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #1

Share |

What do people use for laundry/utility flooring?

Just wondering what others have used for their laundry room floor over concrete slab? and pros/cons?
tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #2

We use slate in a lot of houses. Sometimes ceramic tile. Sometimes Vinyl. Almost never wood as it scratches too easily when moving the washer and dryer plus we have garage doors in a lot of them. Plus water tends to get on the floor a lot in the laundry warping the wood.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #3

Ever thought about staining them, or using an exopy coating? They sell both at Home Depot and it is an easy DIY project.
cwacasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Slate or porcelain.

Slate is naturally slip resistant and porcelain is non porous. Two very good choices in that room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Licensed Contractor

Porcelain, so it will not absorb much moisture. It's a relatively small space, so go nuts. I redid my own this past March while my wife was away and used three different sized tiles, with a medallion in the middle (not covered by the machines.)
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Especially in light of the ease of settting it on concrete, I would say hands down tile. Basic ceramic will do; if you want to spend a few $ more, step up to porcelain. The price for tile is going to be competive with a quality sheet good, and will last many years longer.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #7

I have three laundry rooms, and all three have vinyl composition tiles on them. These are fine 99 percent of the time because the floor is dry. But, during the 1 percent of the time when I'm having to fix a washing machine, and there's water on the floor, they can be pretty slippery. If there's water and an oil film from the machine's transmission on the floor, watch out.

My own feeling is that putting porcelain tile down would make for an even more slippery floor when wet. I wonder if an appliance service technician could sue a homeowner for falling in their laundry room because the floor was super slippery when wet? Also, I don't know about other makes, but with Maytag, some of the service procedures call for setting the washer down on it's back and working from above. I wonder if that wouldn't scratch up the porcelain tiles?

One thing that no one seems to have mentioned so far is synthetic rubber floor tiles, or rubber flooring meant for wet areas. Rubber flooring is extremely durable and would stand up to an unbalanced washing machine dancing around on it. I would certainly consider commercial rubber floor tiles in a residential laundry room.

I don't know whether or not synthetic rubber flooring is permeable enough to be stained by something like transmission oil from a washing machine. But, it wouldn't be affected by water. I have synthetic rubber stair treads in my front and back lobbies, and they are bullet proof. The only way to damage them is with a razor and a destructive intent. I simply can't imagine any way a person could unintentionally cause damage to synthetic rubber stair treads or floor tiles, especially over concrete. You can even put a lit cigarette out on the stuff, leave a black mark and tar residue, and then clean it off completely with some mineral spirits.

I'd check out synthetic rubber flooring at www.johnsonite.com

Synthetic rubber flooring is expensive, but if you only have a small area to do, the cost would not be prohibitive.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-05-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #8

I have had good success using outdoor carpeting - it lasts at least 5 years, then I replace it. I used an indoor glue around the edges. If you hate it - its easy to remove.
tribe_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
remodeling pro

[quote=Nestor_Kelebay;146254
My own feeling is that putting porcelain tile down would make for an even more slippery floor when wet. Also, I don't know about other makes, but with Maytag, some of the service procedures call for setting the washer down on it's back and working from above. I wonder if that wouldn't scratch up the porcelain tiles?
.[/quote]

Since porcelain was actually a commercial/industrial product that has trickled down to the residential market, the are many non slip finishes available.

Laying the machine on its side will definately not scratch the procelain tiles, but you better protect the machine finish with and old blanket or rug.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #10

"Laying the machine on its side will definately not scratch the procelain tiles, but you better protect the machine finish with and old blanket or rug."

Yeah, but the service procedures don't call for setting the machine down on it's side, the call for setting it down on it's back, and the back is were all the steel screw heads will be sticking out, not from the side. I am fully aware that the porcelain would be harder than the paint on the sides of a washing machine, but I kinda doubt that a porcelain tile would be harder than a steel screw head sticking out on the back of the machine.

Also, I guess it would be a good idea to seal the grout on a porcelain tile floor against stains. Eventually a leaking transmission is gonna result in oil all over the floor under the washer, and you don't want that to discolour the grout.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-06-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #11

If a Maytag repairman doesn't have a moving blanket or something else to protect whatever floor he is working on, I'd ask him to get one before he starts working - or I take note, photos if necessary, make him sign a waiver - or pay me a new floor...sign of professionalismn to have whatever he need in that truck.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #12

I just installed ceramic tile in my laundry room. Here are a few pic. I picked up the tile from the big box store. I plan on grouting tonight when I get home form work.

silverxxx is offline   Reply With Quote