DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What to do with all the shop tools when the shop master passes away ???

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Shamus 
#1 ·
I get a call about every 7-18 months from a client or friend of a client wondering what to do with their Husbands shop tools when they pass away. This is always a sad call and one I have struggled with to answer in the past.
Our shop programs in our schools are disappearing. I would think that schools have a certain liability in not using old tools that are not under warranty.

What about if they could be warehouse and given to those in need. What if they where just crated and shipped out to places like Haiti that are trying to rebuild their lives, homes, schools and hospitals.

I would like to do this here in Vancouver. I think I could build a crate, pack the tools and ship them out - anywhere.

Is there a program like this anywhere in North America?

Is there any other local places that might benefit from this "Sad Windfall" of tools?

Any thoughts here???

Regards,

John Whipple

See less See more
#2 ·
I get a call about every 7-18 months from a client or friend of a client wondering what to do with their Husbands shop tools when they pass away. This is always a sad call and one I have struggled with to answer in the past.
Our shop programs in our schools are disappearing. I would think that schools have a certain liability in not using old tools that are not under warranty.

What about if they could be warehouse and given to those in need. What if they where just crated and shipped out to places like Haiti that are trying to rebuild their lives, homes, schools and hospitals.

I would like to do this here in Vancouver. I think I could build a crate, pack the tools and ship them out - anywhere.

Is there a program like this anywhere in North America?

Is there any other local places that might benefit from this "Sad Windfall" of tools?

Any thoughts here???

Regards,

John Whipple
Several churches in our area operate 'repair and maintenance' programs whereby time and material is donated to help underfunded families fix up their places and/or repair storm damage.

I'm sure this would be a welcome gift (and possible write-off) for one of your churches that I am almost positive are probably already doing the same thing.

#4 ·
Thanks men

Thanks men.

The local Churches is a good place to start and we deliver to Habit all the time. I have not seen tools there but they may be able to use them.

I'll look into these places.

It would be nice to gear up some younger men and women and give them some tools to go out and build a career...

Also be nice to put tools into the hands of Hurricane, Mud Slide and Tornado victims so they can rebuild their lives.

#5 ·
The "Vocational" parts of our four local high schools shut down about four years ago due to budget constraints. I knew one of the maintenance guys with the local school system and contacted him as to what they might do with some of the equipment, thinking they may use "GovDeals.c0m"or something. He told me to "sit down". He said they were going to scrap any metal components they could and landfill the rest to get away from any liabilities. Some of this wood working and metal working equipment was less than two years old but was scrapped accordingly. It sure seems the school system could have found a way to auction it off and used the monies in some way. David

#6 ·
The "Vocational" parts of our four local high schools shut down about four years ago due to budget constraints. I knew one of the maintenance guys with the local school system and contacted him as to what they might do with some of the equipment, thinking they may use "GovDeals.c0m"or something. He told me to "sit down". He said they were going to scrap any metal components they could and landfill the rest to get away from any liabilities. Some of this wood working and metal working equipment was less than two years old but was scrapped accordingly. It sure seems the school system could have found a way to auction it off and used the monies in some way. David
This doesn't surprise me at all. They probably even made sure the stuff got destroyed as well.

#8 ·
John,
I am starting to get a little pessimistic in my over 50 years. I watch when we send tons of money to certain places, and nothing changes. Before the oil spill, Louisianna is still way way behind in getting rebuilt. Too many people sit around and wait for the government to save them. Truth is, besides the military, police and fire, I don't have faith in too much else our government does. I would look a little harder if you want to donate. HFH is certainly fine. But to give you an example of something recently, a tornado hit a small town in western Ohio last week, near Toledo. It destroyed a swatch of houses and a new high school, police department, etc. I think 6 people died so far. It happened in the middle of the night. The very next morning the whole town was out searching side by side for missing persons. Later that day they were picking up personal belongings. The next day they started cleaning up. They piled up all the lumber they could drag into piles and burned it. Guys were running around on their personal bobcats cleaning up debris. It was very impressive to watch. They weren't waiting for the government to save them. They saved themselves. These are the kind of people I would consider sending equipment or supplies to. I would feel confident that they would actually use it. Sorry for the rant, but with everything going on these days, I get upset with laziness, greed, and everything else that follows suit. God bless,
Mike Hawkins:)

Regards,

John Whipple

#9 ·
Thurman, I could write a book about what the Attorneys have done to this country. It’s all about suing someone. To avoid the liability you bury it.

Anyway, what I’d recommend John is this;
The only sure way you would have of getting tools into the hands of those that would truly want and use them is to sell them. Craigslist or equivalent. If the heirs don’t want the proceeds then it could be donated to a local charity.

Giveaways are well intentioned but greed always intervenes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.