What To Do About The Walls... - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
AKA 'Tweety'

Rewards Points: 10

What to do about the walls...

We just bought a house that is 120 years old. And we're moving in this weekend. But, the bedroom reeks of cat urine.
Currently, there is no drywall... only a thin cardboardish material covering shiplap. Over that material is a few layers of wallpaper. In some areas about 4 layers. :/
I wanted to just paint it for now. But, the previous homeowners (talk about hoarders), where nail, staple and screw happy. I pulled out at least 50 screws of random sizes and nails out of the walls in the bedroom alone. So now the bedroom is pockmarked with holes. It also has a few tears in the wallpaper
I really want to use the BIN primer to seal the smell.

What should I do to plug all the screw holes? Plaster? Or will adding plaster pull off the paper?
Should I attempt to remove the wallpaper or will the cardboard layer come off with it and reveal the shiplap? I've never used/removed wallpaper before.

Considering we're moving in this weekend, I don't have the time to pull off all the old stuff, put on drywall, spackle, etc. But I really, REALLY want to get rid of the smell. :P

Thanks guys!

(Mods, move this to wherever you think it belongs... I wasn't exactly sure where to put it.

Advertisement

JoesSweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 732

Rule #1 never paint over wallpaper. That will make it 10 times harder to remove.
If there cat urine on the walls then there's sure to be some on the floors to.
What's covering the floors now?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Wall paper over bare studs? Ok.....that is a new hack.....

Like joe said....don't paint the wall paper.....I would just tear it out....knowing how some cats are, part of the urine could be on the paper.....

We bought our house 12 years ago...the PO had dogs....they stayed in one room....there was carpet....first thing to go was the carpet....then we saw all the damage to the wood floors.....

Rip out the paper...mop the floors several times. Air it out....

Then get a big pad of paper and start make a list.....I some how suspect we are going to be answering a lot of your questions over the next few years.....

Oh....and welcome the DIY.....and if it makes you feel any better.....many of us here were in your shoes at one time or another....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

You can get sprays that neutralize pet urine, spray it everywhere after you tear out the wallpaper and carpet/linoleum.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 790

Locate the urine then saturate it with white vinager. I recommend an old bath towel soaking in it be tacked to wall area and just layed on floor. The vinager stinks pretty bad itself but if you're lucky it will penetrate as deep as the cat wee did.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
AKA 'Tweety'

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Rule #1 never paint over wallpaper. That will make it 10 times harder to remove.
If there cat urine on the walls then there's sure to be some on the floors to.
What's covering the floors now?
Nothing is covering the floors... it's the original wood flooring, complete with huge gouges. I spent an hour yesterday on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor with bleach and a scrub brush. My husband and I want to do carpet in the bedrooms... Do you think it's terribly wrong of me to put the BIN primer on the floor before laying carpet? The poor floor is beyond saving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Then get a big pad of paper and start make a list.....I some how suspect we are going to be answering a lot of your questions over the next few years.....

Oh....and welcome the DIY.....and if it makes you feel any better.....many of us here were in your shoes at one time or another....
I'm afraid you guys are either going to hate me or we'll be new best friends.

Thanks all!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesSweetheart View Post
Nothing is covering the floors... it's the original wood flooring, complete with huge gouges. I spent an hour yesterday on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor with bleach and a scrub brush. My husband and I want to do carpet in the bedrooms... Do you think it's terribly wrong of me to put the BIN primer on the floor before laying carpet? The poor floor is beyond saving.

Thanks all!
Hopefully someone will give better advice on the floor....posting a pic might help....if it's true hardwood...it might be more salvagable than you think.

And, no, we will not hate you....remember, we were not born smart...we had to ask some of the same questions....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesSweetheart View Post
Thanks all!
Any girlfriend of the real "Joe", not the one that plasters stupid advice and begs pictures for everything, will forever be safe around me. I promise, and I know people.

Maybe? Like people elsewhere do not. Bad ass bikers who eat crepes in the mountains of Northern California? And one burly mate who posed for a photo shoot slurping out the top of an adult sippy cup liner adapted for a mason jar!

Last edited by user1007; 09-11-2012 at 11:56 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 512

If this were me, i would DEFINITELY rip out the wood floor and replace it with a new solid plywood subfloor, and then carpet over that. You can spend years messing with different chemical solutions and neutralizers and still not get rid of the urine smell. Starting fresh is the only sure solution.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

bleach won't do anything for the urine smell. do like polecat said and use white vinegar. once the urine is neutralized then you can seal it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

hit HD and get some sheets of wall board paneling to suit your taste for now.don't even try the wallpaper removal it will turn into a nightmare.installing the panels will solve the holes and wallpaper problem...till you have had time to move in.prep walls...white wash the walls then flat color white typical the ceiling 2 coats..then a good floor paint 2 coats will seal the cats smell.don't jam yourself into a quick fix moving in it is a waste of time....seal it for now http://www.lowes.com/Building-Suppli..._/N-1z0ynu4/pl

Last edited by biggles; 09-11-2012 at 12:18 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
AKA 'Tweety'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
If this were me, i would DEFINITELY rip out the wood floor and replace it with a new solid plywood subfloor, and then carpet over that. You can spend years messing with different chemical solutions and neutralizers and still not get rid of the urine smell. Starting fresh is the only sure solution.
I might end up doing that in the end, depending on how much of the smell I can get out without pulling apart the house. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Locate the urine then saturate it with white vinager. I recommend an old bath towel soaking in it be tacked to wall area and just layed on floor. The vinager stinks pretty bad itself but if you're lucky it will penetrate as deep as the cat wee did.
I will try that today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
bleach won't do anything for the urine smell. do like polecat said and use white vinegar. once the urine is neutralized then you can seal it.
Yeah, I was pretty sure bleach wouldn't work for the urine smell... but it sure made me feel a ton better! There was gum, soda and various other unidentifiable things stuck to the floor. It was nasty. Vinegar is next on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Hopefully someone will give better advice on the floor....posting a pic might help....if it's true hardwood...it might be more salvagable than you think.

And, no, we will not hate you....remember, we were not born smart...we had to ask some of the same questions....
I'll try to get some pictures today and give you guys an idea on what exactly I'm dealing with. :P We aren't even exactly sure what type of wood the floors are. Maybe you guys will be able to give me an idea.
Thanks for not making me feel like an idiot!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
AKA 'Tweety'

I added some photos of the house here.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Any girlfriend of the real "Joe", not the one that plasters stupid advice and begs pictures for everything, will forever be safe around me. I promise, and I know people.

Maybe? Like people elsewhere do not. Bad ass bikers who eat crepes in the mountains of Northern California? And one burly mate who posed for a photo shoot slurping out the top of an adult sippy cup liner adapted for a mason jar!

a,oh,
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

for the past ten years i've had two dogs and a cat. and all I can say is that if the urine is in the wood floor or the walls- you probably won't be able to treat it. this is just my experience with pet accidents - if you don't soak up the urine right away and it has a chance to soak into whatever - it's near impossible to completely get rid of the smell. nature's miracle, bac-out, vinegar work temporarily, but there is always some residual spot that doesn't get treated and the smell comes back. good luck!

Advertisement

laorquidia is offline   Reply With Quote