Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2011, 03:32 AM   #1

Share |

What did I do wrong? Behr paint horrible covering

I have been painting on and off for 20 years and I have never had a paint look like this. either I messed up big time or somethings wrong with this paint mixture - ot it will correct itself with a second coat?

This is the first coat of Behr Premium Plus Disney Collection Color Gamma sector Green.

I rolled it after sanding a textured wall smooth, applying a coat of joint compound to the entire wall, sanded that ( had to be sure the texture was smooth and all texture removed), then applying a coat of Kilz 2 primer.

See the light and dark areas? I know paint will have some areas that doesn't cover well on the first coat but I have never seen anything like this.

It is critical this color winds up an even shade because this color is to be used as a green screen for video production effects.

this is the color the paint is supposed to be: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/p...505-59326.html

Will this fix itself with a second coat or did I really screw up somehow?

Edit to add: The color is off in my picture, it really does look greener than the grayness my photo shows.. i don't know why the color is so bad in the photo. Taken with a Logictech 510 webcam.

Last edited by John Phoenix; 11-13-2011 at 03:36 AM.
John Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Phoenix View Post
I have been painting on and off for 20 years and I have never had a paint look like this. either I messed up big time or somethings wrong with this paint mixture - ot it will correct itself with a second coat?

This is the first coat of Behr Premium Plus Disney Collection Color Gamma sector Green.

I rolled it after sanding a textured wall smooth, applying a coat of joint compound to the entire wall, sanded that ( had to be sure the texture was smooth and all texture removed), then applying a coat of Kilz 2

See the light and dark areas? I know paint will have some areas that doesn't cover well on the first coat but I have never seen anything like this.

It is critical this color winds up an even shade because this color is to be used as a green screen for video production effects.

this is the color the paint is supposed to be: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/p...505-59326.html

Will this fix itself with a second coat or did I really screw up somehow?

Go to a real paint store ( Ben Moore) and buy a gallon of Aura tinted to that color, most likely 1 coat will cover that mess.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:46 AM   #3

Thanks but that's not an option. This color was tested for accuracy for use with video green screen applications and had the correct stats. The "real" latex paint that is made for green screen that has the same stats cost 65 to 170 dollars a gallon. That is also not an option. That is why an alternative, this color, was found and tested.

I have to make this color work - with the rest of the quart size I have that is enough for a second coat. (an 8 x 9 foot area) I have no other choice.

Could it be a bad mix job?

To add - The problem is you see that this color was tested against other greens of similar shade and quality with 1000 dollar computer video editing software to test for the proper amount of red and blue in the visual quality, among other things. I have no clue if just getting another brand to color match will produce the same results in video production. The results could be as much from the shade of green as it is from the quality of materials (high or low - higher quality paint does not necessarily mean the results will be the same) that make up the paint. This is an unknown, so I would be trading what is supposed to work, for an unknown.

Last edited by John Phoenix; 11-13-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
the Musigician

If someone is telling you that behr is the ONLY paint that will do the job, then your choice is obvious. Keep painting coat after coat until it smooths out, if ever. If not, do as Chris suggested. I seriously doubt behr has any properties that make it better for green screen. Crap paint is crap paint.

DM
gregzoll (11-13-2011), Gymschu (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
DIY staff

Was this actual can tested for the project or the paper color sample?

My experiences as a contractor using this paint---bad--worse and nightmare---I think the stuff is awful.--Mike--
DangerMouse (11-13-2011), rossfingal (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #6

Behr is not the only paint that will work but it's the one I have that I could afford.

Different paints ( assuming they have an exact mix for their formula) can look exactly the same to you and me but to a camera, they can either absorb or reflect different wavelengths of green red and blue light. These properties are what helps the software to filter out a green screen for video effects.

I did find out Benjamin More's Neon Green can do it but I was hoping to fix this one so I would not have wasted the money. I find it hard to believe Behr's Premium Plus is so bad - if all thier paint is that bad I don't see how they stay in business.. this has to be a fluke for the coverage to be this bad (even if a lot of "pros" on this forum do hate Behr paint this cannot be indicative of all Behr paints all the time.

It was the paint itself as seen by a camera that was tested.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
the Musigician

Quote:
if all thier paint is that bad I don't see how they stay in business..
Marketing and volume. They sell enough to DIYers that do not know any better to make up the losses they incur by having people complain and return cans of the crap.
SOME people can get *almost* decent results (under ideal conditions) with this garbage, but most pros avoid it like the plague.

DM
Old 11-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
Mod

Gotta love the ad placement next to his post.
Attached Thumbnails
What did I do wrong? Behr paint horrible covering-paint.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (11-17-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
the Musigician

I know, I laugh every time I see their ads here.

DM
Old 11-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
DIY staff

Paint is paint because of the solids left behind after the liquids dry----

Good paints run around 54% solids----Behr has a solids count in the high 20%s

The Chevy Cavilare is one of the biggest selling cars---they sell many more than BMW----this fact does not make the Chevy the better car.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
old guy contractor

Quote:

I rolled it after sanding a textured wall smooth, applying a coat of joint compound to the entire wall, sanded that ( had to be sure the texture was smooth and all texture removed), then applying a coat of Kilz 2 primer.
I might suspect the Kilz primer
It could have sucked into the raw joint compound.

Just a guess.
I hate Behr paint............
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I know, I laugh every time I see their ads here.

DM
Ad's, what ad's. I have them blocked through the ad-block add-on for Firefox.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Should have read the posts on Behr paint first. It is much loved here for obvious reasons. It is absolute crap.

A real paint store will have a super accurate color scanner. Some of them allow direct input of color codes and translate it into the pigments. If not, paint out a piece of illustration or index stock with 8 coats or whatever of the BEHRly paint color you need to cover. Or, if your color printer is accurate, print out a 4x6 or so swatch on photo paper. Then take it to a paint store and they will nail it dead on for you. Ben Moore would be my first choice.

www.easyrgb.com is another resource for you. Enter your RGB codes. It will display the four closest paint chips from the collections of the major paint company you choose. Last time I looked. Behr was not supported. Obviously the paint store scanner will kick out infinite possibilities.

I've painted many video green screens over the years and never paid $75-100/gallon for the paint. Never had to suffer using BEHRly paint either. Remember it is a dark color with a deep tint base. It may take you a 2 coats and some touch up even with a good paint. Make sure you are using a thick enough roller cover.

Last edited by user1007; 11-13-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Corrected URL - Memory is not what it used to be
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #14
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Ad's, what ad's. I have them blocked through the ad-block add-on for Firefox.
Opera browser (still the BEST browser IMHO) has built in ad blocking, no additional add-ons required.
Built in email, built in google, etc. works well for me too.
However, I turn it off once in a while to see who is advertising here.

DM
Old 11-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Should have read the posts on Behr paint first. It is much loved here for obvious reasons. It is absolute crap.

A real paint store will have a super accurate color scanner. Paint out a piece of illustration or index stock with 8 coats or whatever of the Behr color you need to cover. Then take it to a paint store and they will nail it dead on for you. Ben Moore would be my first choice.

www.easyrgb.com is another resource for you. Enter your RGB codes. It will display the four closest paint chips from the collections of the major paint company you choose. Last time I looked. Behr was not supported. Obviously the paint store scanner will kick out infinite possibilities.

I've painted many video green screens over the years and never paid $75-100/gallon for the paint. Never had to suffer using BEHRly paint either. Remember it is a dark color with a deep tint base. It may take you a 2 coats and some touch up even with a good paint. Make sure you are using a thick enough roller cover.

I hope the OP reads this, maybe now he will believe.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote