Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What can the building department do after work is completed?

I was just looking through my county's property appraiser website. I noticed that a lot of people did not pull permits for the jobs they had performed. Some of the jobs were done by large companies. I'm not sure how accurate the website is, but all of the permits I pulled for my house are viewable with final inspection dates. This got me thinking about what the building department can do after the job is completed. I'm not going to turn anyone in; I am just asking out of curiosity. I know they can red tag jobs that are in progress, but can they do anything after the job is completed? For example, what if a roof is completed over the course of a weekend. Can they come by a few weeks later and make you rip it off to check the sheathing inspection and pull permits? What if they notice you had your water heater replaced, but there is no record of pulling a permit? I noticed a lot of the houses enclosed their garage with no permit. One guy even built a small addition on the back of his house.

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #2

Depending upon the work, they can make you rip it all apart
Or in some cases take it down if it does not meet code

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #3

In my city, a fellow built a house without a permit (and not to code) and it ended up with the city sending in a crew to remove the whole thing, including the foundation.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #4

Depends if you're politically connected.
In Chevy Chase, with a Median Household Income of $95,511, a completed house was legally required to be moved a few inches.
Unfortunately both the house owner and the complaining neighbor were not 'little people.'

The building dept. changed their mind about this several times. It was pretty disgusting.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-01-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Whatever the inspector in your region feels is necessary for him to verify that the work is according to code; open up walls and ceilings for plumbing, electrical, and structural inspection, tear down portions of work if offenses are agregious enough, and even remove a poured slab if the rest of the work is poor enough to give him suspicion about the strength of the slab (does it have rebar/mesh reinforcement and beams as needed) is suspect , or the quality of the plumbing under it is sub standard.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Here, Dougherty County Georgia, we have Code Enforcement Officers which are technically for the County and City of Albany, I'm in the county. Code Enforcement Officers ride around looking for any type of construction going on, can/will stop and ask for proper paperwork. And YES, I've seen them issue a "Stop Work Order" on a job, have the contractor tear something apart to see what is underneath it. I operate a "Household HandyMan" business and have been asked for proof of license before. We are not required to carry our license with us, rules state the License must be displayed at our registered place of business--my home/shop out back. I do carry a copies in my trailer for three counties here. I don't do work which gets into requiring permits. Actually by State Laws, no job over $2000 each. Interesting that I note "bluefitness" mentioning requiring a permit to change out a water heater. I'm not sure about gas water heaters here, I don't do these as a Gas Fitters License is required. For electric, no Electrician License required, although I have one, but no permit required. Wow, if all the homeowners I see buying new water heaters at the big box apron stores had to pull a permit--I just can't see it here. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Without a permit, you could lower the resale and limit the amount for people to finance in the future. Some banks will not touch and unpermitted structure because of the "red flags" a lack of a permit raises, which reduces the number of possible buyers.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote