What Is This Call? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10

What is this call?

Hi Guys,

Newbie here... do you know what this "appliance" is called? It's in the kitchen and it's a fan thingy. Sorry for the complete lack of DIY knowledge.

Thanks guy.



owsnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Building and plumbing
USP45's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: farmville, VA
Posts: 244
Rewards Points: 150

It appears to me to be an exhaust and light combo.


USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
remodeling pro
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,399
Rewards Points: 500

Looks like a bath exhaust fan that someone tried to turn into a kitchen vent. Judging from the apparent grease buildup on the outside, I'd be afraid to look inside the grill.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp
slickshift's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Rewards Points: 2,000

bathroom exhaust fan
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
(the original)
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: long beach, ms
Posts: 695
Rewards Points: 756

Hope that thing's not blowing all that grease straight into the attic........can you say "VOID home insurance"?!!!!

Oh, you wanted to know what it's called.....unless it's vented through a proper chimney to the outside, which I doubt, I'd call that a "wick" and your house a "candle". In any case, it's not a reasonable substitute for a range hood, if that was the original intent.

Last edited by ratherbefishin'; 12-30-2007 at 12:45 PM.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Call for help with fiberglass tub install yohan Plumbing 3 05-24-2008 04:23 PM
why call it a 2x4? johnny331 Off Topic 37 04-08-2008 06:51 AM
What to do? Who to call? Dusty General DIY Discussions 1 06-07-2007 03:58 AM
Should I replace my GFI or call an electrician? brianwestchest Electrical 22 10-10-2006 09:59 AM
need to know before I call a pro TheHomeDummy Electrical 2 08-11-2006 02:37 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1