Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 520

what 'bothers' me in this house?

How do you find what bothers me significantly in this house,,,my home??If I am gone for several days I detect a 'faint' odor when walking in front door. Lasts for two breaths and then cant smell a thing different.

When I am out of the house my eyes quit itching and feeling like gravel and salt thrown in them. Needless to say, while home several days it gets unbearable

As stated I cant walk around and 'sniff test' things cause it is all the same after a minute inside.

Everybody thinks I am crazy,,,but thats exactly the way it really is!! What to look for???

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Do you have any allergies?
Has anyone else who has been in your house noticed the smell or had issues with their eyes?

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

IF your house has a crawl space, it sounds like/could be, a mold problem. I had somewhat the same problem with my house some years back. Go away for at least two days, return and there was a smell in the house that you got used to quick. My eyes would burn after being in the house for a few hours, but would clear up after leaving the house for maybe 30 minutes or so. I have a coat closet which is seldom used and it would really smell at times. I would just leave the door open and the smell would go away, I think. I did an inspection under the house and found a lot of "white mold" and a little "brown mold" growing on the floor joists. The dirt under the house stayed really damp. Research taught me that these were the likely causes of my problem. The solution was to increase the ventilation under the house and cover the dirt with plastic. I have foundation vents and added an fan to one of them which is on a timer. This is a "squirrel cage" type fan from an older A/C split unit mounted to a foundation vent. It runs for 4 hours twice in a 24 hour period, all year round here. The mold has been greatly reduced, the dirt under the plastic is dryer, the smell has gone, the eyes don't burn. But I still have to wear bi-focals. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 520

petzer,
Yes I do have allergies which are control by meds if I am NOT home

AND IN REPLY TO OTHER POST,

Part of my basement is a full basement, small part only is a crawl space. A guy told me to put plastic as preventative medicine 10 years ago over the crawl area.

On top of that I have central air that dehumidifies AND a dehumidifier running down there 24/7 so to make sure my tools dont rust.

And my bifocals dont steam over either

Glad to heAR I am not only person with weird smells , burning eyes and BIFOCALS . Any suggestions where else to look and try??? thanks for the replies -don-
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

This may sound off center, but the rage for the past several years has been to have subdued lighting in homes. I have been in some homes that you almost had to "feel' your way around upon first entering. "Better on the eyes", people think. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Ever wonder why schools, stores, offices, manufacturing facilities, hospitals, laboratories, sports arenas, libraries, etc. all have good, effective lighting?

They know that good eye health trumps "mood" lighting every time. And did you ever happen to notice that none of those places uses those silly little glowing twisty fluorescent light bulbs we've all been sold on by Madison Avenue? The electrical engineers who gauge and design lumen specified environments know better.

It just may be that there is nothing wrong with your eyes that a couple dozen 100 watt bulbs installed around your home won't quickly fix.

I have 12 4' 40 watt flourescent tubes lighting just my kitchen, alone. My wife loves it! The bathroom has 4 of the same.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

When I am using my "unvented' gas logs, I can smell them---as you stated---for a few breaths. I have no problem otherwise but if you have any gas appliances, you would be wise to investigate for a vent defect.
It sounds a lot like carbon monoxide
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
And did you ever happen to notice that none of those places uses those silly little glowing twisty fluorescent light bulbs we've all been sold on by Madison Avenue?
Yes: because they don't have very many Edison sockets to put them in. Homes do. And it's Washington, D.C. that's "sold" us on CFLs by mandating the phase-out of most incandescents by 2012.

A well-designed CFL puts out a perfectly good spectrum. I agree that the cheap 2700K CFLs that emulate the cheap 2700K incandescents are a abomination.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost View Post
A well-designed CFL puts out a perfectly good spectrum. I agree that the cheap 2700K CFLs that emulate the cheap 2700K incandescents are a abomination.
So what are some good ones? I gave up on CFLs a couple of years ago after trying maybe a half dozen and finding them all repulsive. Now I got a bunch of fragile duds I don't even know how to throw away without poisoning the earth. Yep, kudos to the geniuses who came up with all this WIN.
tima2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 296

A good air purifier may help.

http://www.air-purifiers-america.com...FVjW5wodVGMPdg

High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote