What Is Around My Lower Basement Walls - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What is around my lower basement walls

I'm in the thinking stages of finishing my basement and I haven't been able to get a straight answer about why I have this big padded bulge around my basement foundation. Any help would be appreciated. What do I need to do when it comes to framing? I'm new to DIY if that wasn't painfully obvious.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
What is around my lower basement walls-unfinished-basement.jpg   What is around my lower basement walls-basement-laundry.jpg  

Advertisement

Morty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It would seem to me to be insulation, although I have to admit, I've never seen it applied quite this way before...

DM

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #3

Do you know who the builder was? If so, could always call them to confrim, be interesting to know why they used different material at the bottom.
T-Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morty81 View Post
I'm in the thinking stages of finishing my basement and I haven't been able to get a straight answer about why I have this big padded bulge around my basement foundation. Any help would be appreciated. What do I need to do when it comes to framing? I'm new to DIY if that wasn't painfully obvious.

Eric
By the looks of it, that's a specific "below grade" insulation. But beyond that, I have no idea why they would have used it - or exactly what it is.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
I can tie my own shoes

Rewards Points: 75

Looks like blanket insulation (aka insulation diaper) with an extra vapor barrier over it. That would be a no-no. Or somebody had a lot of extra poly that they have balled up, put into your basement, and covered it up so nicely. Methinks you will need a bigger dumpster when you pull it all out.
algored2deth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

I was in the Midwest visiting family this fall and a real estate friend of mine asked me to go look at a FannieMae repo she was getting ready to list for sale. I seen the exact same product and installation method as yours. I asked what the heck is that all about. I was told homeowners get a discount from there elec/gas company for being energy efficient.

Heres a link I found.......

http://cmi-insulation.com/p_basement...insulation.asp
Gizmoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
General Contractor

Gizmo nailed it.

It is just insulating the concrete footing wall that is thicker than the wood framing sitting on it.
SeattleSurfaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #8

Thanks for the great info guys. So is it safe to rip it all off?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
the Musigician

Why not just keep it as insulation and box around it? That'll give you a nice ledge all around the room.

DM
Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Thanks for the great info guys. So is it safe to rip it all off?
Yep rip it off if you want.....................
Gizmoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Why not just keep it as insulation and box around it? That'll give you a nice ledge all around the room.

DM
That's what I was wondering too, can I just butt a frame wall right against it? On the wall with one window, and the long wall, the concrete sticks out about 3 inches. On the wall of the opposite window it's even with the framed portion above it. Is it going to look weird to have two walls with ledges and 1 without? How do you tie the bottom ledge wall into the existing framework above? Ugh, I think I might be out of my league.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
the Musigician

I don't think it'd look weird, and you'll be keeping the insulating properties of what's already there.
But of course, that's just my opinion.

DM
Morty81 (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,166

Quote:
Is it going to look weird to have two walls with ledges and 1 without? How do you tie the bottom ledge wall into the existing framework above? Ugh, I think I might be out of my league.
I don't think that it would look "weird", but if you think that it will to you, just box out the third wall the same way, and include some doors in the face of the bumpout, so that you can use it for storage. As for the framing, it's not structural, so should be a good project.

Morty, I have one question though, if you don't mind, and it's not directed at you, because I have seen a number of similar situations, so don't even feel obligated to answer this, but didn't you wonder about this before you bought the house, and assuming you did, why didn't you ask about it at that time? Believe me, I think that I am a fairly decent guy, and I am not trying to be humorous, but there have been so many times that I have seen something along that line, and when I have asked the homeowner, they will sort of shrug, and say something like "I don't know, it's always been there". In all honesty, it looks to me like you got some good insulation there, but what if it were covering up some manner of defect? Again, not poking at you, or anything like that, just curious why you wouldn't investigate it prior to this.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
VIPlumber (03-29-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #14

I'm not offended at all. Honestly, it's my first house and I didn't even think to ask, plus I was probably blinded by my excitement of the big purchase that I didn't even care at the time.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,166

I understand, and thank you for sharing. Now, just don't do that again!!! I'm kidding, of course, but seriously, if you ever decide to move, or simply want to share advice with a friend, even though your home is almost new, and looks to be very well built, a home inspection should always be considered, particularly for those who may not be completely sure of what they are looking for or at. Anyway, it looks like you have a very nice, well constructed home, so I will wish you good luck with your basement finish project, and many happy years in your home. And please visit the site as you improvve on your home; a lot of good people and advice here.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote