Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #1

Share |

What is it?

Try to guess what's going on here:

I'll explain it in a bit, but try some guesses first

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #2

What is it?

Itsa setup for home theatre of course
I'd say DIY
Think there might be some interference

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #3

What is it?

Close enough on the first guess

The coax is for video. It carries a signal from this room to the room with the computer. The guys hanging the drywall were due in the morning and I was out of locations to nail up a box.

The "outlets" are connected to speaker wire. I went to the store and picked out all the "official" speaker terminals and plugs and it was $99 for one room! On the way home I decided that was just nuts and there had to be a cheaper alternative. I figured standard plugs and outlets would carry audio just as well as banana plugs.

The only harm that could come is if someone plugged one of my audio plugs into 110v. I don't know what would happen if someone put 110v on the speaker outs of my amp. Hopefully blow a fuse. The amp is double insulated so there shouldn't be a shock hazard. I labeled the audio cables so hopefully that won't happen. Since they're behind 300 lbs of furniture it's not likely.

The two outlets on the right are for the surround speakers; the two on the left go to remote speakers in the kitchen. I think that's one of the best details I've come up with -- you can get up from watching a ball game or a movie and continue to follow what's on while getting a snack or a beverage.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #4

What is it?

I think the first time someone plugs one of your speakers into a 120 volt outlet and let's the smoke out of the speaker, a goodly portion of the money saved will also go up in smoke... Not something I would do around my house - as it would surely happen sometime.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:43 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

What is it?

The screws are also not vertical
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

What is it?

You have GOT to be joking!

Now, I COULD see the economic logic if your INPUT setup was hardwired into the walls from your system, and your photo was an example of what the OUTLETS looked like for each room.

But to take a chance that someone, someday could somehow introduce power into your system is risky to say the least.

One question, though. If all these are female recepticles, how would someone find a live male plug to insert?

For the most part, it DOES seem safe, since I've never seen a live male plug, but the chance for disaster still seems present if you have provided access for an electrical type plug...... unless someone hooks up a string of extension corrds, and also hooks one into something live, somehow.

Last edited by Willie T; 01-04-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #7

What is it?

Had a friend make a portable setup like this to use at job sites
He would run it out to his truck to connect the radio
Not sure on the connections, but after he fried his 2nd radio he stopped using it

I would never use house outlets for speakers
In scuba diving setting up equipment you follow DIR - Do It Right
Of course that's a water environment where equipment failure can cost you your life
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #8

What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I think the first time someone plugs one of your speakers into a 120 volt outlet and let's the smoke out of the speaker, a goodly portion of the money saved will also go up in smoke... Not something I would do around my house - as it would surely happen sometime.
It's just myself and my wife. Hopefully she'll read the tag that says "Speaker" and not plug it in. She doensn't mess around with the stereo equipment anyway -- that's one of my "jobs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
The screws are also not vertical
I thought they looked good horizontal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
One question, though. If all these are female recepticles, how would someone find a live male plug to insert?
All of the recepticals are female, so there's no danger of introducing power to the in wall wires. The dangers are:

A) Someone plugs in a speaker. It makes them pop like flashbulbs, btw. Don't ask how I know, but it's not from wiring them to lamp plugs. Since the rear speakers are mounted 7 feet up on the walls (with the outlets up there) I'm not too worried about that. The front speakers are near the amp, so they're just plugged straigt into it, and the kitchen speakers are in-wall.

B) Someone plugs a speaker out from the amp, which has a lamp plug on it, into 110v. I don't know what happens then, but I assume it's probably a bad thing.

Maybe I ought to swap them all out for 220...
Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
the Musigician

What is it?

so..... you put male plugs on your patch cords from amp to outlet? hmm, to be a bit safer, i'd maybe add an inline fuse on the patchcords, and add a wraparound warning label at the male plug end stating it is NOT to be plugged into 110v outlets.

DM