Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

Share |

Welding: Pay someone or buy the tools

I found this simple idea for nesting metal frame work tables from the mythbuster guys. I don't own any welding gear right now, and I don't have any plans for future welding projects.

Any idea how much it would cost someone to weld the metal legs/frame of the table together? How is the best way of finding someone for the job? Would they come on site or would i need to bring the items to them?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...s/tips/4327161

thebrandnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

Most areas have mobile welders in the phone book. You'll pay a premium to have the work done onsite.

Best bet is finding a buddy with a welder, or a retired pro welder with his own equipment.

It will take a lot of practice to get presentable welds yourself.

GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

ok, I saw the square metal tubing they suggest for the tables is rather cheap (6ft for $20) figured it sounded like an awesome way to create a solid workspace. But I wouldn't be able to bring the finished table down my basement stairs, which is why I originally thought of trying to do it onsite, either myself or by a hired hand. But, maybe this is more difficult/expensive than I first thought. Thanks.
thebrandnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
DIY staff

With some practice you will be able to do this yourself---

Your welds will be ugly in the beginning ---welding is an art that is learned with practice only.

You may know someone with welding skills adequate for your project--ask your friends.

I've always had an arc welder in the shop for repairing things--my welds are not pretty by they work well enough to save the life of a mower deck or to make a bracket.
GottaFixIt (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrandnewguy View Post
ok, I saw the square metal tubing they suggest for the tables is rather cheap (6ft for $20) figured it sounded like an awesome way to create a solid workspace. But I wouldn't be able to bring the finished table down my basement stairs, which is why I originally thought of trying to do it onsite, either myself or by a hired hand. But, maybe this is more difficult/expensive than I first thought. Thanks.
All of the mobile welders I know have trailer or truck mounted welder/generator setups. I don't know that they're lines would reach.

I'd keep my eyes on craigslist / classified ads. You can usually find cheap welders available. From there, it's just practice
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest doing any welding in your basement, unless you want your wife to come running down and place her foot firmly up your rear end.

What about drilling holes and bolting the thing together? With a few minor braces you can make it extremely strong. Also, if you ever want to dismantle and move it, that's an option.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
GottaFixIt (08-09-2011), VIPlumber (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
I ask the impossible!

1 word: unistrut.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #8

type in welders....check out skillled trade sevices on Craigs List for your area
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
1 word: unistrut.
2 words: not cheap
CheapCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:43 AM   #10
I ask the impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapCharlie View Post
2 words: not cheap
Compared with square steel tube and buying a welder or paying someone to weld it?

12 ga. superstrut is $18 per 10' or 14 ga. is $10.
Compared with $7.79 for 1" square tube, you're starting off with a difference of less than $20 for your support structure materials. Maybe $20 in bracketry and you need to be able to hire a welder for $40 to be competitive.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Any idea how much it would cost someone to weld the metal legs/frame of the table together? How is the best way of finding someone for the job? Would they come on site or would i need to bring the items to them?
It really depends on where you are, too. When we lived in rural Oklahoma it seemed that everyone and their dog knew how to weld. If you are in the middle of a big city, probably not so much.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost, diy, money, welding, workshop