Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #1

Share |

Weird Power Problem

Hey guys,

so this morning I woke up at 12:00 p.m. (alarm clock didn't go off) and noticed that I had no power in my bedroom. I walked downstairs to check to see if the circuit breaker was tripped, and alas it was not, nevertheless I turned it off then on, but this didn't help. I had power in the rest of my house and I figured I'd call my landlord after I got home from work since I was already running late. Well, I got back around 9:00 and figured it was too late to call him. Around 10:00 I noticed the power had come back on in my room.

Should I be worried about sleeping in there tonight? I just don't want an electrical fire to happen if it seems like my circuit breaking isn't working properly?

Jon
Jokerswild2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Weird Power Problem

Did you ever check to see if any other rooms had no power at the same time? It is possible that there is a loose neutral from the transformer to your meter outside, and the land lord needs to get a competent Electrician, not just a handyman to check this out.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #3

Weird Power Problem

Sounds like a loose connection. Plug a vacuum in and see if the power goes out. Vacuums are high current devices and often trigger this problem.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #4

Weird Power Problem

ok weird update.

My roommate has always kept his laptop charger plugged into this one particular outlet. Well, the other day he unplugged it and moved it downstairs, and that was during the time where we didn't have power in those two rooms (which are on the same circuit breaker.) Apparently, he had decided to move his charger back upstairs since it was kinda getting in the way of things, and magically, we had power last night. Well, he currently is on his way out of town, and unplugged the charger from the outlet, and we immediately lost power. He plugged it back in, we regained power.

I'm calling my landlord as soon as I post this message, but do you think there is anything I should be afraid of?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Weird Power Problem

Sounds like a loose connection in the outlet. Soon if not fixed, there can be a nice fire from it. Ask the LL if you pay the cost for ACFI's, if he will install them on the bedroom circuits, so at least you have a peace of mind. Also, may want to double check to make sure that your Renter's insurance, and your roommate's is up to date.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #6

Weird Power Problem

wonderful. Should I go ahead and turn off that circuit until it gets fixed?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Weird Power Problem

I would.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote