Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2005, 07:22 PM   #1

Weird noise

Hi, I live in Cleveland Ohio it's very cold.When in my basement I noticed what I first thought was a ringing noise in my head, kind of like the aftermath of a loud concert. or a high pitched humming sound that goes right through you.I wondered if it was my furnace, chimney and or the cold. Has anyone experienced this? Any advise?

Old 02-18-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Weird noise

I have tinnitus, comes from years of exposure to loud noise. Most of the time it's a high pitched whine, sometimes one ear, sometimes both. Tone can vary. This started in my 30's and is getting worse but an episode a week is about the norm but it doesn't last that long.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
Talking

Weird noise

I have come across two incidences that has produced this type of annoyance. It could be either furnace motor bearings, or another furnace oriented noise would be the fan belt. Another time I ran across this type of thing, it was produced by an attic turbo vent. It was fine until the wind died down enough for it to slowly come to a stop, or near stop, and it would make the most annoying highest pitched sound imaginable. It took quite a while to locate that one because it only sounded off at a very low rpm. One last possibility could be a water leak. Check your meter and see if it is advancing when you know you have it all shut off. Good luck
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
duckluva1

Rewards Points: 10

Weird noise

Ha! I have both, worked for the telephone co. wearing headsets. But I also have fine hearing abilities. I agree with the waterleak, the pipes servicing the house can vibrate with small leaks producing loud but mostly inaudable tones. Sometimes you can feel them first before hearing them or identifying the source. A neighbors revolving roof vent took me a days to find.
But lets add this. I have an automatic water filler for my gas furnace, (an electromagnetic device) that was out of adjustment. My 'noise' was felt raher than heard and only lasted a short term @ times. It used to begin with a low deep thrum, caused by operating/opening the water shunt to fill the furnace tank (steam heat) and then rise in pitch to the inaudible range. I adjusted the water feed to the unit from 'full open' to 'closed and open 1/2 turn'. The shunt would shudder from the differances in pressure when used, lowering the rate of water flow available to the unit stopped the shudder and the noise. *Umm, I ignored it untill the shudder could be felt and heard loudly enough to merit attention, actually it scared the chit out of me and dissappeared -after I lept out of bed and ran to the basement. The at times only condition (how often it needed more water) made finding this one a challenge. Reducing the available water flow to the automatic unit immediatly solved the noise problems
duckluva1 is offline   Reply With Quote