Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Weak spark - 8HP Tecumseh

Hi = Looking for direction here - engine will not run - checked point gap - holding plug wire to ground while cranking develops weak spark - connected to plug and plug held to ground creates NO SPARK - any ideas?? !!!!! Thanks!!!!!!! Jim

strod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #2

If this doesn't work, some additional details would help, i.e. model, application, etc., but for starters, I would remove the flywheel cover, check the gap between the flywheel and coil, and lightly clean the outer surface of the flywheel with a thin spray of oil and emery cloth; not uncommon for the magnets to rust.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

If there isn't a lot of rush on magneta then I did replace coil while I have it part.

I'm not a professiona., But I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
If this doesn't work, some additional details would help, i.e. model, application, etc., but for starters, I would remove the flywheel cover, check the gap between the flywheel and coil, and lightly clean the outer surface of the flywheel with a thin spray of oil and emery cloth; not uncommon for the magnets to rust.
Hi Dexter II - Lost me a bit - you said to remove flywheel cover and check gap between flywheel and coil - this 8HP Tecumseh has the coil inside the flywheel. Engine is on an Ariens Snowblower, mid 70's vintage. Engine is an HM80 - 155020. Is it possible the condenser is weak, although not very old and not put to use much or for some time?? Points are same age and clean and gapped to spec. Thanks Jim
strod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #5

Okay, for whatever reason, I had a picture of a 5 HP B&S or something like that in my mind. You're right; my 70'ish rototiller has that engine, and the mag is behind the flywheel, but I have only had it off maybe once or twice to blow the dust out, and can't recall exactly what it looks like. If it were me, I believe that I would still proceed along that path, remove the flywheel, clean the inside surface, and see what you can see. Check that the key is in good shape, probably replace it as long as you're in there, that the coil hasn't loosened and backed away from the flywheel, and that the condenser is tight, and not grounding itself out. Otherwise, since it sounds like the condenser and points are not too old, I would probably break down and try to find a coil. Backing up though, I don't know what that has for a kill button and interlocks, but it would be well worth chasing that circuit with an ohmmeter first, just to make sure it's not grounding itself out.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote