Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:00 AM   #1

Share |

Waterproofing Metal Shower Caddies ???

hi - i'm amazed that i have been unable to find any information on this subject. i am once again moving and want to use a metal shower caddie in the new place but thought that before i get a new one i should arm myself with a way to seal it so that it won't rust. the claims that they are rustproof are just not true and i am tired of ending up with rusty shower caddies. surely someone has successfully sealed one of these things so that it will last without rusting ? please don't suggest the plastic ones. i hate the way they look and i am set on metals but no i can't afford the brass fixtures or even stainless. i'm spending $20-30 and am looking for an easy way to seal it. some kind of spray ? is there some sort of silicone sealant for metals ? - thanks for any input, brian

bobbymacbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #2

Rustoleum spray paint. Sand the caddie first then spray several coats. Cost, $5

Worked for me.

raam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Fixer-'til-broker

I've found some GREAT stainless caddies for $10 at a home store (I think it's call THE HOME STORE - lots of neat stuff for home decor). They are almost perfect - I had been looking for something like these for YEARS. And at a price cheaper than WalMart. They haven't rusted yet, and they shouldn't ever. Soap and lime have trouble sticking to them too.

If you must do a refurb, I've found a better paint than Rustoleum at Ace Hardware called Rust Stop. I've only seen it in black and white, but this stuff goes on smooth and level and looks factory-sprayed.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raam View Post
Rustoleum spray paint. Sand the caddie first then spray several coats. Cost, $5

Worked for me.

thanks for the response. i thought maybe i should have added that i am not interested in painting the caddy in the original post. i'm just interested in sealing the existing finish. - thanks, brian
bobbymacbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Fixer-'til-broker

Wax?

I had another idea - WD-40.

Last edited by DIYtestdummy; 05-30-2008 at 10:47 AM.
DIYtestdummy is offline   Reply With Quote