Waterproofing The Basement - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Bmc

Rewards Points: 25

Waterproofing the basement

I have a combination crawl space and basement and was thinking about placing a sump pump in my crawl space with a new vapor barrier and using sani-tred to get my basement waterproofed. What do you guys think of this product? And what do you think about my plan in general?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

Advertisement

Bmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

From what I have seen, the product is just another highly promoted material that does nothing to eliminate the cause of the problem, but is just a "band-aid".

Dick

Advertisement

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
Bmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry
From what I have seen, the product is just another highly promoted material that does nothing to eliminate the cause of the problem, but is just a "band-aid".

Dick
What would you suggest? We have to get this fixed to prevent the water problem.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Water from the outside ground will seep in through any crack with pressure (nothing strange about it, just gravity) and you are unlikely to solve it completely by painting the inside of the basement regardless of how amazing a product you use. View it as the opposite of a concrete swimming pool with cracks and leaks in it, what seems like the natural thing to do, seal the inside of the container or the outside? The water needs to be led away from the house.

Where I live it is customary to dig around the house down to the bottom of the foundation, brushing tar-like glue on it and nailing a plastic mat around, overlapping to make it tight. Then a drainage pipe at the bottom with washed gravel around, preferably all the way to the surface to be sure 100% of the water runs straight down to the pipe and away.

However, if you are unable to this I guess you could try the next best thing, making a good seal from the inside as you mentioned. Make a hole in the middle of the basement where the water will go and place a pump there (my parents had such a solution, but they had to carry the water away with buckets like any well...). You may still have a problem with moist air, then get an air dehumidifier and run it continually on low setting, it will also provide a little heat.

Good luck with everything and post back with updates.
Colorblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Bmc

Hey so we decided to go ahead and get the waterproof done on the outside using the rubber tar and the plastic barrier and cementing our crawl space to make the space usable and help stop the water issues. But now the big question is does anyone know how much that would cost? We have a copy that was recommended to us by one of the guys that is working on our electricity and they said they can't be over till mid July to give us an estimate. Anyways any info will be appreciated. Our house is about 1500 sq ft. With a mix crawl space and basement.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #6

I can't comment on the cost, but I excavated and waterproofed the back half of my 1950s house last summer. We have a full basement, and had some water during hard rains as our soil drainage is poor (lots of clay). I applied a liquid rubber membrane (messiest stuff I've ever worked with), ran drain tile covered in fabric and drain rock, and backfilled. The materials weren't particularly expensive, but it was a LOT of labor, and I have the machines to do it (skidloader, etc.).

Before I got it backfilled, we had some serious weeks of rain, and the house in effect had a "moat" around the entire area that was waterproofed. I didn't have my drain tile hooked up yet, but got no water in the basement. The footings were exposed, with standing water literally 10 inches at times above the bottom of the footing. This convinced me that the rubber waterproofing (whether liquid membrane or adhered sheets) was worth its weight in gold. I still haven't put in a sump, and haven't had any problems in the last year. I think it was money/time well spent to do it right rather than rely on Drylok or the like. Just my two cents... I think you're making the right decision if you can afford to do it externally.
project_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:09 AM   #7

Don't know about the crawl space, but if you get a digger to excavate around your house you can do the sealing yourself. Read up on it and just be thorough and you will be fine. When working with the plastic sheets, summon a couple of friends to help you because it is a pain in the ass to handle yourself if they look anything like what I am used to....

In crawlspaces and such hard-to-get-to places they often use spray cement. It may be a cheap option since the process is impressively fast but you will get a rugged surface that may be difficult to use for anything without busting your knees. Have them look at it and go through your options.
Colorblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Gbm

As posted above, the best way to fix on a "permanent" basis is to excavate, add drainfield below top of footer, and seal the wall. Paint or interior drainage systems do not address the root cause. I did a ton of research a couple of years ago when we poured our foundation to select a product and discovered there are 2 classes of products - damp proofing and waterproofing. Typically installed by a builder is damp proofing; they use the brush on product and once dry they backfill. Sometimes they add a layer of plastic to supplement In commercial they usually use the sheets of peel-and-stick type product then a layer of a dimpled drainage field to protect it and carry away the moisture. The peel and stick is very difficult to properly apply without bubbles and fishmouths at the seams. I forget cost exactly but w/o labor it would have been about $4k for product. I opted for spray on waterproofing product (tar brush on will degrade/dry out and crack over time and spray on eliminates voids). As this requires specialized equipment I hired a company to get it done and received a "lifetime" warranty. The cost was reasonable as the drainage plain/protection board used was high density fiberglass boards which arguably give a little r value to the system. ( their claim not mine as damp fiberglass has little insulating value). Cost for about 700 sf of below grade wall was about $1500. material cost for 150' pipe, fabric, 18 or so yards of gravel was another $1k. I did the drainfield but guess that value in labor was another grand so figure $3500. The wild card is excavating - porches, hvac equipment, utilities etc in the way. Swag another 2k - so I would budget between $5 & $6k. You can go cheaper or you can go expensive but I chose the middle ground.

Important considerations are pick a good product to apply, protect it from the backfill, properly install the drainage system (lots of options there too) proper backfill, AND MAKE SURE grading is sloped away from the house and gutters drain away from foundation.

Note that several years ago I had a moisture problem in my existing house. I could hand dig the 3' foundation and I used the tar, plastic, and pipe with great results. New house is 10' deep with wrap around porches and I never wanted to worry about it again.

Good luck!
Gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
Bmc

So today I made an appointment with solution basement company in STL to come to my house and give an estimate to waterproof our basement and crawlspace. the guy walked out on us mid interview, he got two calls while he was talking to us and walked away mid sentence stating they are too busy "we have enough work I don't think we'll be taking this job" 2 other companies said they are booked till mid July. Aarrrrrggghhh I need to get that taken care off. Anyone had any suggestions or recommendations?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 528

BMC - hire an excavator instead and do the waterproofing yourself.

i am wondering how to apply dimple sheet membrane to a rubble stone foundation? any suggestions for me?

Knucklez
Old 07-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Bmc

I am sorry I don't know how to do that. I hired a basement waterproofing company I couldn't figure it out and the heat here makes it feel like we are a mile from the sun.

Advertisement