Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Share |

Water well above ground tank cover.

Hi,
I am looking for an enclosure or housing to protect an above ground water tank (part of a well system for a residence). The tank is about 50" high x 30" round. I would prefer a heating/ventilation option or capability. I have gotten pricing for a Hubbell "Hot Box", but they are pretty expensive. Anyone know of an alternative? Preferrably, not an eyesore.
Thanks

pattyinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

Where do you live? Any danger of it freezing?
Build a pump house over it or if your in a warm climit paint it like a Pepsi can or something like that.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

I am really looking for a pre-fab type of enclosure. Anyone have a brand name I can look up or a sales source?
pattyinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #4

Not likly, there's dozens of differant sizes of tanks, it's rare to see one above ground unless it's on some farm someplace in a field. It would need some form of foundation.
So why would a company make one for that limited market.
Do not even think about one of those cheap plastic sheds. First wind storm it falls apart.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #5

might consider an airater that the boat people use around me here out on Long Island.as long as the water is bulbling it won't freeze.consider building a round enclosure around the tank but to keep the wind chill off the actual tank itself.installing actual light bulbs within the top of the tank is enough to keep it from freezing steamfitters do this with the large wooden tanks on top of buildings in Manhattan,NYC.any type of pump circulation of the tank water will keep it from freezing along with bubbling it like a fish tank...coling towers that run thru the winter have a low wattage submersible heater that maintains a towers throth at 45F
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote