Water On Siding - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water on siding

Hi,

1st post here at DIY and a true novice to DIY-ing.

For the past few mornings I notice water spots in the same place on our asbestos siding (see attached photo). After a short while, the water evaporates away. We've had some snow recently but that should all be melted by now. Possible leaks from the roof above or adjacent window? Perhaps easiest to just remove the siding and have a look behind? Any ideas? Thanks very much.
Attached Thumbnails
water on siding-img_2961.jpg  

Advertisement

kjod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

water on siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjod71 View Post
Hi,

1st post here at DIY and a true novice to DIY-ing.

For the past few mornings I notice water spots in the same place on our asbestos siding (see attached photo). After a short while, the water evaporates away. We've had some snow recently but that should all be melted by now. Possible leaks from the roof above or adjacent window? Perhaps easiest to just remove the siding and have a look behind? Any ideas? Thanks very much.
First thing's first... Don't mess with that Asbestos siding at all. It is very dangerous for your health. Research and find out the risks on your own. Furthermore, by way of a professional Asbestos Abatement Process, the contractor will be the ones removing it - NOT YOU!

Second... the water could come from the soffit above also... As long as it's not hurting anything on the inside, it will be best to leave it alone - IMHO.

Thirdly... as it may seem like a stretch, I have seen parts of siding to have similar wet spot that eventually evaporates. This is all due to the uneven surfaces where some siding pieces are more vertical to shed water faster than those that are not as "vertical" - hence the left over water marks...

Hope this helps some.

Advertisement

oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,166

water on siding

I think some kid from the neighborhood got a super soaker for x-mas and is messing with you.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

water on siding

I would check the light fixture directly above for sealant or loose mounting screws. Asbestos is usually awful to work with so if there is any other option it is best left alone.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

water on siding

Thanks very much for the information and suggestions.
kjod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

water on siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjod71 View Post
Thanks very much for the information and suggestions.

Please feel free to click on the "THANKS" button on our replies. It helps.

oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 694

water on siding

Just judging by the lack of maintaince on the window, it may be as simple as the wall needs to be painted or never has been painted.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 87

water on siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
I think some kid from the neighborhood got a super soaker for x-mas and is messing with you.
Or someone in the neighborhood has a very tall dog
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,064

water on siding

Have you checked the window to see if water is wetting under the siding and surfacing below, later?

BTW, your siding is just like mine, only 17% asbestos, our city landfill accepted mine. Check locally. Inhaling the dust while sanding could be dangerous, though the siding tends to break off pieces like a very brittle candy --- takes some effort. I doubt you could remove one without breakage (on first try, anyway). HO's can remove it around here, check locally... Try drying the siding with a hair-dryer and see if it re-wets right away (from the interior- outward).

Gary
Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,300

water on siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweather View Post
I would check the light fixture directly above for sealant or loose mounting screws. Asbestos is usually awful to work with so if there is any other option it is best left alone.
+1

Look up first and then try Gary's method below.

What inside the home? Any utilities or plumbing in the wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Have you checked the window to see if water is wetting under the siding and surfacing below, later?

BTW, your siding is just like mine, only 17% asbestos, our city landfill accepted mine. Check locally. Inhaling the dust while sanding could be dangerous, though the siding tends to break off pieces like a very brittle candy --- takes some effort. I doubt you could remove one without breakage (on first try, anyway). HO's can remove it around here, check locally... Try drying the siding with a hair-dryer and see if it re-wets right away (from the interior- outward).

Gary
+1 on the asbestos.

Not particularly dangerous if you do not disturb it roughly. It is usually and unregulated waste is a homeowner stuff but you aren't removing it so don't worry about it.

If you have to use a tool on it, don't sand or cut it with a circular saw.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

water on siding

If you have to take it off sometimes you can remove a piece with a saw handle that you clamp a hacksaw blade into, teeth direction for a pulling cut. If the nails are hidden, and it is fairly loose, you can sometimes slide the blade between and cut the heads off. Putting it back on you may have to drill two holes just below the course above and face nail it, gently. Most I have worked on use aluminum or maybe a zinc nail very soft but have fluted section and a ring section. Very hard to pull out, but cut easy. Yours looks face nailed. Go between layers and cut under the piece you are taking off. I have pulled them with wire cutter pliers from the surface, but risk breaking the piece. Make sure you can find replacement pieces first, it is getting harder to find.

Advertisement

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak , siding problems , water