DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   water in the room after heavy rain (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/water-room-after-heavy-rain-131398/)

mom1967 01-25-2012 06:00 PM

water in the room after heavy rain
 
After heavy rain in Texas , we noticed small puddle of water in our walking closet. The closet is at the front end of the house with an exterior wall .There are roof drains outside that wall , The adjacent rooms & upstair rooms are dry. The drywall is also dry.The closet is tiled & the water is concentrated on one side only . I also noticed that the caluking between tiles near the wall on that particular are is not done correctly.
The closet is about 200 sq ft wwith all other areas bone dry. we have been living here for past 5 years. This is the heaviest rain we ever had after a drought in all these years. What might be the cause ? what should I do ?

thanks in advance

Bondo 01-25-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

The closet is about 200 sq ft wwith all other areas bone dry. we have been living here for past 5 years. This is the heaviest rain we ever had after a drought in all these years. What might be the cause ? what should I do ?
Ayuh,.... Scared dog, or child maybe,..??

The water had to come from Somewhere,.... Look for it's trail....
Through the wall,..??

mom1967 01-25-2012 07:27 PM

No dog or small child.
The only issue I can think of clogged gutters outside the wall., water was gushing over the gutters last night.Our roads were flooded due to heavy rain.
There is also a small area between tiles not grouted or sealed properly. This was really puzzling since everywhere else is dry .the walls are dry as well.

Hardway 01-25-2012 07:41 PM

I would not worry about the caulk inside. The water is coming in from outside. Pix of outside would help. Clean gutters, make sure water is discharged away from the house, 3" of rain on a roof will be a lot of run off.

abracaboom 01-26-2012 12:29 AM

Is your floor on a concrete pad, or wood with a crawlspace/basement? If it is on concrete, water might have seeped from underneath through the path of least resistance (the defect in the tile installation).

mom1967 01-26-2012 05:49 AM

It is on a concrete pad. We do not have a crawl space or basement. The previous owner tiled the room herself.

other than cleaning the gutters , what can I do to improve drainge ? -( Change the size of downspouts or put french drains in that area) ?

We had 5-6 inches of rain within 24 hours - a rarity in this part of Texas.

AllanJ 01-26-2012 06:29 AM

The first thing to check for and fix is water pooling up against the house.

This may require regrading of the land.

mom1967 01-26-2012 06:39 AM

I am new to all these - ( the questions may sound stupid & apologize for that ) . whom should we call to regrade the land ?

1910NE 01-26-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom1967 (Post 835044)
I am new to all these - ( the questions may sound stupid & apologize for that ) . whom should we call to regrade the land ?

The "best" move would be to consult a landscape architect, and have them plan it out for you, but that's likely to be expensive. You could ask around for recommendations for someone who does site work. A quality landscape operation should be able to do it,......or someone who installs septic systems..

joecaption 01-26-2012 08:07 AM

Post a picture of the outside of the house and it should be simple to see what's wrong.

abracaboom 01-26-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom1967 (Post 835044)
Whom should we call to regrade the land ?

A guy with a shovel. :)

Some guy who does yardwork by the hour.

If the water came from underneath, that means there was water under pressure underneath the concrete pad, which can only be fixed with a French drain (installed by a guy with a shovel and good directions).

I would start by digging a small hole (shovel width, 3 foot deep) right next to the house by that closet. If it fills up with water, you've found the culprit.

Hardway 01-26-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abracaboom (Post 835393)
A guy with a shovel. :)

Some guy who does yardwork by the hour.

If the water came from underneath, that means there was water under pressure underneath the concrete pad, which can only be fixed with a French drain (installed by a guy with a shovel and good directions).

I would start by digging a small hole (shovel width, 3 foot deep) right next to the house by that closet. If it fills up with water, you've found the culprit.


post hole digger, perk 3 holes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved