Water Pooling Around Garage Door - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
ljr

Rewards Points: 10

water pooling around garage door

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but it seems like a good place to find suggestions for my problem...

I had a home inspection yesterday on a home I am looking to purchase. The main concern was water pooling around the garage door and back-alley gate. The attached pictures might explain the layout. The garage is attached to the neighbors, but detached from the house.

On googlemaps, it looks like the alley is graded so that water drains away from the garage, but in the winter with snow build up, the melted water seems to drain towards the garage and back gate. When the water freezes, there is a risk of the garage door freezing shut.

What is the best way to remedy this issue? I am considering:
1. Talking to city about re-grading back alley. Maybe the original grading has been disturbed and needs to be touched up?
2. Putting a 2" thick topping on the concrete pad to raise it above current alley elevation. But this won't prevent water from pooling around the back gate.
Attached Thumbnails
water pooling around garage door-untitled.jpg   water pooling around garage door-untitled2.jpg  

Advertisement

ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

How much land do you own past the concrete apron of the garage? If at least a foot, I'd install a slotted grate along the garage door and continuing past the gate. I'd dig a drywell in your yard to handle the runoff.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
ljr

I'm pretty sure the end of the apron is the end of the land included with the house, but I'd have to double check.

It might be best to wait untill summer and regrade the alley area around my garage without involving the city...
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljr View Post
I'm pretty sure the end of the apron is the end of the land included with the house, but I'd have to double check.

It might be best to wait untill summer and regrade the alley area around my garage without involving the city...
Ayuh,... It looks Awlfully FLAT around there....
I can see where an hour or so, with a 4' level would be time well spent, devolopin' a Plan...
Water flows Downhill, ya can't raise the garage, so, ya gotta find somewhere Lower to pitch it too...

If it's Too Flat, you might Have to go to a drywell affair....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #5

Nice post. It seems to be a properly installed floor because the water runs away from the house towards the garage door. BUT once the water gets to the inside of the garage door it has no where to drain to the outside of the house. Thanks
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Heron For This Useful Post:
Ron6519 (03-07-2011)