Water Heater Woes! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Water Heater Woes!

A few weeks back I checked on my 3 year old water heater - did the annual release valve check and when I let go of the release valve the water kept pouring out. I solved that problem, and the valve is now working fine. BUT - last week I went down and found the base of the tank to be damp - a ring around the base of the tank. No observation of a leak or active dripping out of the base, but the ring is enough evidence for me that there is most likely an issue. MY QUESTION - could this be residual water from the original valve release problem - meaning did some water get into the base of the tank and is now seeping out - OR - is this evidence of a tank leak? Its ONLY 3 years old - and we've never had any issues with the tank.

THANKS!

Advertisement

Thisoldhouseowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Water Heater Woes!

Did the insulation around the tank get wet,,,inside the outside metal??Did that make sense?? anyway it could take a long time for the water to 'dry' out of a flood situation.Continue monitoring it to SEE whats what. IF its in an unfinished space with a floor drain that WORKS very little danger!!

Biggest question,,,does the valve at the top of the tank(pop-off) ,,,is that plumbed down to almost floor level?? OR just blow off to the side 5 foot high where it could burn or harm you or a child?? It helps in the sticky valve of NOT spraying the whole house area!!(or bottom of heater.) Its a DIY job at best,easy and cheap,,,make it so you can reuse that part on another replacement heater

Advertisement

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote