Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2010, 04:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Water in Garage

When it rains or snows, water drains off the cars onto the garage floor. The water tends drains to either side of the garage, towards the front end and the drywall gets moist and is now starting to peel a little bit. This has been a problem for as long as I lived in the house (4 years). Maybe not a major problem, but annoying. When it snows, I try to get as much of the snow off the cars as possible. I also try to broom the water doen to the garage door opening. Other than leaving the cars out of the garage (duh!), any suggestions? Also, how do I go about repairing the damaged parts of the drywall?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #2

Water in Garage

Cut the sheetrock about 1/2" off the floor so the water doesn't touch it. More if needed. You can cover the gap with a plastic base molding that water will not bother.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #3

Water in Garage

Angle grinder with a diamond blade can be used to cut a drainage system into the floor.
How deep is the free standing water? The cuts don't need to be deep. Aim them towards the door or under the cars.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #4

Water in Garage

Little puddles that drain towards the walls.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Water in Garage

I don't know who makes them but you need surface drain grates installed along the length of the garage to give water a better place to go than into your living space. Usually companies that sell pvc plumbing, even Lowes or Home Depot will have these. You'll have to saw cut your floor for installation.
Robbie245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #6

Water in Garage

That's probably not a DIY project for me. What type of companies do this and how much? I have a two car garage. The laundy room is on one side of the garage and no living space on the other side, just brick wall and two windows.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Water in Garage

For a DIY'er project--I agree with Ron as the first step. Cutting the drywall up to prevent water from contacting it should be your first goal. The plastic base is good material. IF I didn't use the plastic base, I would use 1x4 or 1x6 Pressure Treated wood. I would also let it set for a week, in the garage-spaced apart for ventilation to dry some, then prime and paint to choice. I'd still leave a 1/8" (paint stir stick thickness) at the bottom to be sealed after installation. Finding a way to cut the drainage grooves is a good idea also for a DIY'er. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #8

Water in Garage

Thanks Ron and Thurman. I am definitely going to do that now and then maybe cut drainage grooves in the future