Water In Garage? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 272

water in garage?

My garage is about 50+ years old, it is detached from the house. The inside has no insulation or drywall, the celing is open to the rafters and ceiling joists as well. The problem I have is when it rains hard for a long time, water actually comes up though the concrete, not puddling, but the whole slab becomes moist to the touch. And I do have adequate drainage, the land slopes away from the garage on all 4 sides and the gutters are piped out to the street.

Now I have thought about doing some kind of sealer on the concrete so this does not happen so I am not sure if this is a good fix or not.

Also becasue of this I have a serious problem with condensation, I use the garage as a work shop and I am noticing my tools are becoming rusty very fast, I am sure this is because the moisture can not escape once it comes though the slab. Now my roof does not have any venting at all, would adding a few of those cheap plastic roof vents help this problem? If so how many do I add? The garage is 10'x24' and with a 8' plate height and again the rafters are open there is no drywall on the ceiling or walls.

I dont want to put to much money into this garage because in a couple years I am planning on tearing it down and rebuilding a larger garage, but I would like to try to help the problems I am having now until I get to that point.

Thanks!

Advertisement

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

water in garage?

Sounds like you have done everything to get surface water away from the footers/slab. I will have to guess you have a high water table, and there is no solution for that. It is rare to see a sump pump in a garage, but that might be what is needed.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,472

water in garage?

if its an older garage, there's probably no vapor barrier under it,,, there are siloxane sealers that will work - even at the apron stores
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 272

water in garage?

I agree with the no vapor barrier as said above. If I put down a sealer would that cause problem, might sound stupid but it seems like it could cause problems if the pressure really builds up.
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote