Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Water in Front Room and Basement

Hi, I've got a house built in 1970. One story ranch with full basement. Also, the only "eve" is the gutters, the roof doesn't go out any further than that. I moved into it three years ago.

That spring ('10), there was a hard driving rain and water came into my ground floor living room- I was very surprised. It happened a few more times and I decided to replace the windows the next spring, that was 2011.

I put in replacement windows but didn't put in flashing. A friend who is trust greatly as a contractor knew I was doing this, helped me with it and never said I needed it but directed me in doing the job.

Since then, there has still been water coming in the front room but not anywhere near the amount as before. I have traced the seeming problem to the area of the front room window and made sure that all of the joints were sealed and in good order.

Last week there was a big storm (the first since making sure everything was sealed as well as it could be) and the water came in again. Only this time, it wasn't as much as before AND it came in in a different place- still in the front window but on the far left (looking out) and then in the basement but further left than usual (there's a small stain in the ceiling that tell's me where it usually came in and it was about 1.5 feet to the left of that stain).

I am baffled as to why it keep coming in. The replacement windows were done well and drainage was taken into account, even though there isn't any outward flashing.

I would appreciate any help anyone might have to offer.

Thanks.

missionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 46

If the replacement windows left the old window casings in tact---you still have improperly flashed windows----some siding may need to be removed in order to seal the old windows properly.

We have several members that are far more experienced than me---let's see what they suggest---

Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionman View Post
One story ranch with full basement.
the only "eave" is the gutters, the roof doesn't go out any further than that.
...there was a hard driving rain and water came into my ground floor living room - I was very surprised.

I am baffled as to why it keep coming in.
It starts with grading.
Provide a direction and path for ground water to go AWAY from the house.

Next is eaves, gutters and downspouts
Provide a direction and path for roof water to go AWAY from the house.
If you don't have them... fix that. TODAY.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
DIY staff

Tar Heal--This house is getting water behind the siding and into the room---it's not a foundation problem---enough water is getting in that it is running into the basement from that upstairs window.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 120

Really need some pictures, could careless about pictures of the inside, need some of the outside including the roof area.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Tar Heal--This house is getting water behind the siding and into the room---it's not a foundation problem---enough water is getting in that it is running into the basement from that upstairs window.
Ayuh,.... No doubt yer Right, but there's still an application of Tarheel's advice,...

Water flows Downhill....

Where ever it's Leakin',...

The Leak is probably above that point....

'ell,... it could be Leakin' somewhere on the Roof, 'n runnin' down through the walls...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-05-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I would check the general condition of the roof and the edge in particular. Pay close attention to any valleys or penetrations such as vent pipes that are close to the area.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionman View Post
Hi, I've got a house built in 1970. One story ranch with full basement. Also, the only "eve" is the gutters, the roof doesn't go out any further than that. I moved into it three years ago.

That spring ('10), there was a hard driving rain and water came into my ground floor living room- I was very surprised. It happened a few more times and I decided to replace the windows the next spring, that was 2011.

I put in replacement windows but didn't put in flashing. A friend who is trust greatly as a contractor knew I was doing this, helped me with it and never said I needed it but directed me in doing the job.

Since then, there has still been water coming in the front room but not anywhere near the amount as before. I have traced the seeming problem to the area of the front room window and made sure that all of the joints were sealed and in good order.

Last week there was a big storm (the first since making sure everything was sealed as well as it could be) and the water came in again. Only this time, it wasn't as much as before AND it came in in a different place- still in the front window but on the far left (looking out) and then in the basement but further left than usual (there's a small stain in the ceiling that tell's me where it usually came in and it was about 1.5 feet to the left of that stain).

I am baffled as to why it keep coming in. The replacement windows were done well and drainage was taken into account, even though there isn't any outward flashing.

Thanks.
Some times a leak in a roof is the hardest thing to find it could be any were. something I did to find a leak in my roof was use leak detection dye and used it with induction hose and garden hose sprayed the roof down like it was raining used the UV light found the leak traced it right back to were the roof was leaking. it was in a place I never thought to look.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Some times a leak in a roof is the hardest thing to find it could be any were. something I did to find a leak in my roof was use leak detection dye and used it with induction hose and garden hose sprayed the roof down like it was raining used the UV light found the leak traced it right back to were the roof was leaking. it was in a place I never thought to look.

Never heard of that--sounds very interesting-------
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #10

I want to post a picture but I'm told I can't post attachments.

How do I change that status in order to be able to post a picture?

By the way, at that top corner the bricks have come a part a bit from the mortar. Could this be an entrance for water?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

One more thing: the roof was replaced this August, after a hail storm in the spring. BUT, this problem has been going on since I moved into the house in 2010, so it is not connected to that storm, not, I think, to the roof.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 58

I'll take a stab. It sounds to me like you still have a leak somewhere around the window and what you did when you sealed it and it seemed better is water will find the easiest route, where it comes out is not necessarily where it comes in. When you sealed you made it take a different path and that is why it showed up somewhere else. As far as the bricks I will say possible. Sorry but I still lean toward the flashing around the window. But the only sure way to know is open something up and trace it. All your doing now is throwing stuff at it and hoping something sticks.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
DIY staff

To post a picture you must click on 'Go advanced' at the bottom of the message box---you should see a paper clip in the new message box---
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Mod

Rewards Points: 64

Troubleshooting these types of leaks really isn't that difficult for someone that's "truly experienced" at this type of thing and is onsite to run through a few test (not guess).

Being this is just a internet forum (and a good one) all we can do in this case is work off pictures, anything else is just a guess.

Post some pictures of the inside but more importantly pictures of the outside including some standing back showing the entire area including the roof (as mentioned).

I know there's a few different ways to post pictures here but this is the link that got me trained. How to attach a photo to a post
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags
nailbags, where did you get detection dye? I've always had that idea for numerous things especially on my truck albeit the auto industry already sells UV dyes for your fuel/oil/water.

Anyway as far as this leak goes, sounds to me that water may be getting behind the gutter? Have you looked there? Or noticed anything of the sorts.

Where does the brick stop at. Halfway up or all the way to the soffit. Do you even have a soffit??? Obviously pics would help but you're working on that.

lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote