DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   General DIY Discussions (
-   -   Water feed valve (

stoked91 02-21-2012 07:17 AM

Water feed valve
As wondering if by chance there is a way/ device that can detect if there is a leak in the hot water tank. I ask because my basement is newly finished and I can only imagine coming home to find the bottom blew outta the tank and filled my room with 60L of water... But is there a way that this is the only water that will leak... Not keep flowing out the main?

joecaption 02-21-2012 07:23 AM

If the bottom rust out or there's an over tempature and the relief valve pops off as long as the supply line is open waters going to keep coming out, not just the 60 gal.
The tank should have been installed sitting in a pan with a drain on it.
There is sensors you can by that can be sat in the pan and when it sinces water it shuts the main off with an electric solinoid.

stoked91 02-21-2012 07:31 AM

I have heard of that... But where can I find something like that?... I was planning on building/ forming a small dyke wall around my water tank so if it leaks it will mostly be contained... Then like you said... I need the electrical shutoff!

joecaption 02-21-2012 07:34 AM

Not going to do any good to form a dam.
Just Google "auto water shut off valve" dozens show up.
Your going to need a 3/4" valve.
It goes on the inlet side.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1