Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Water Dripping Out Bathroom Exhaust Hood Caulk?

Hi all,

Any ideas what could be causing water to drip out of the caulk of my bathroom exhaust hood? I live in a 4 year old lofted bungalow (loft is in the middle of the house) and the exhaust hood pictured is that of our main level bathroom (which is below a partial attic). We'd had some condensation in said attic earlier in the winter, which dripped down through our bathroom drop ceiling and (we thought) was caused by an R-10 level of insulation in said attic (we have since had it bumped up to R-50). But now given this water/ice dripping out of the caulk I am wondering if there is another reason we were getting so much condensation in the attic.

We don't run this bathroom fan very often. So I'm kind of stumped as to why so much (presumably condensation) would be dripping out. Maybe heat loss around the puncture they made for the exhaust ducting?

Cheers,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Water Dripping Out Bathroom Exhaust Hood Caulk?-dscn0221.jpg   Water Dripping Out Bathroom Exhaust Hood Caulk?-dscn0223.jpg  

leftygroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #2

Could it be the moisture being sucked out of the air in the bathroom is condensing and then freezing due to the rapid temperature change?

rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberhead View Post
Could it be the moisture being sucked out of the air in the bathroom is condensing and then freezing due to the rapid temperature change?
Thanks for the reply. I'd expect if it was simply condensation that ice would be on the exhaust hood, not originating at a gap in the caulk. My neighbour has an exhaust hood with some icicles on it, and the icicles are on the hood itself.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

The duct should be insulated from the time it exits the fan to the point it exits the house. If the amount of moisture is excessive coming out of the bathroom, you might see condensation coming out of the house.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #5

Can you easily access the vent from inside or would it mean cutting drywall?
rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberhead View Post
Can you easily access the vent from inside or would it mean cutting drywall?
The vent runs through the attic, no problem I can access it.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygroove View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'd expect if it was simply condensation that ice would be on the exhaust hood, not originating at a gap in the caulk. My neighbour has an exhaust hood with some icicles on it, and the icicles are on the hood itself.
The water might be condensing before it gets to the vent and just runs out.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

Thanks for all the suggestions all. I mucked around the attic tonight with the exhaust fan on, it seems like the flexible duct isn't leaking heat and no moisture was present.

I did notice a 1/2 inch gap all around where the duct punctures the attic wall (ie I could put 2 fingers between the duct and the wall, 2 knuckles in). And this duct exits the house at a point approx. 1 inch above the vapor barrier of my bathroom drop ceiling. Thus my 2 cent theory is that enough moist heat is making it through said vapor barrier to a path outside through this 1/2 inch gap (instead of up into the R-50 insulation).

Tags
condensation, exhaust hood