Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #1

Share |

Water damage in wall framing?

I'm working on a bathroom. There is water damage in the subfloor, so I'll be removing that (I've gutted the whole thing and will remodel with new fixtures, etc, since I'm at it). But, the baseplate of the adjacent wall framing appears to be rotted out there as well. Probably a 6-10 inch section of it, and the bottom of one stud as well. What do I do with this? I'm thinking cut off the rotten part of the stud with a reciprocating saw, and cut the rotten section of the baseplate, then simply nail in a replacement length of 2x4 for the baseplate, and then sister the stud, toenailing into the new baseplate. Does that sound right?

StevePax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #2

Or possibly just remove the stud altogether and replace it, so I can still have the 16" OC spacing for predictability?

Old 12-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... I like your 2nd plan the Best... refit the baseplate,+ Replace the stud,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #4

Yeah, problem with removing the whole stud is that finished wall on the other side (which is my master bedroom!).
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #5

Is it a load bearing wall?

If it's just a partition wall I wouldn't be too inclined to do more than patch the plate and sister the stud.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

You can cut the nails at the top and bottom plate with a sawsall. Then twist the stud back and forth while pulling it towards you. This will pull the drywall nails or screws out and not damage the other wall at all.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #7

If load bearing, nail a new stud/support brace at angle to hold the bad stud's load while working on sistering. I would cut the bad section of plate out and the section of stud. Then add a new plate section and a new sistered stud with a nail gun which won't ruin the nails on the other side of the wall. If you pull that stud, it won't be nailed for 32" and what if it is a drywall joint.....

Be safe, Gary