Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Share |

Water damage

I've got a lot of water where it's not supposed to be. My house was recently flooded and I'm looking for someone to come take care of it professionally because I don't think this could be done as a DIY project. I am posting on here for anyone's opinions on if I could do this as a DIY or if I really do need a pro. I don't know if I could afford it, but I also don't know if I have enough time to fix it all myself.

Everyone's thoughts are welcome

LotsOWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Water damage

Does you insurance cover it... some do, some do not. Anyway Service Master is one national company that specializes in this work. You can do it yourself. What needs to be done is make a hole in any walls that are effected and floors as needed. Then blow air into the area for 24 hours to dry the affected areas. Most items will dry. any insulation that got wet needs to be replaced. Post questions and or pictures if you need more details on how to handle specific issues.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Water damage

Most homeowners do not have the expertise or the equipment to effectively dry out a flooded house within a usefull time frame. How long it takes to dry out depends on the equipment used, the volume of water that needs to be removed and the type of material that is being dried. You also need to have proper metering to check moisture levels to know how you are progressing and when you are finished with the process. If it has already been more than 72 hours since the water receeded, molds will have already set up shop within damp walls. You really need a professional assessment and a plan of attack. A reputable restoration company should tell you how much moisture is present and where it's at. They should also tell you whether they can effectively dry out the wet material.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #4

Water damage

Call a pro asap.

Flood on the first floor a few years ago.

Pros came in and had Blowers, dehumidifiers and "mats" running for 5 days straight. Insurance covered it. All baseboards removed, nickle size holes drilled into the walls behind baseboards. Dehumidifiers, blowers and a mat they had to lay over the floors that sucked air through the hardwood floor to dry out anything that was under them.

Last edited by ferris13; 02-03-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: add content
ferris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Water damage

you mean Sham Wow will not work?
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #6

Water damage

Thanks guys, I think I'll look into professional help. I did some checking around and saw Anyways Service Master but also saw this one: IndoorRestore (website is www.indoorrestore.com). Anyone know anything about these guys? They seemed pretty inexpensive to me.

Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #7

Water damage

Call your insurance agent... describe your water adventure... and ask if you are covered.

Many carriers have a network of pros that can step in and make this hassle free... ask questions... if something doesn't sound right...
ask the agent... or adjuster...

Anything can be a DIY project, BUT........water damage does not allow for a long learning curve.

Your failure to mitigate damage... will not be covered by the carrier.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #8

Water damage

When it comes to water, I'd hire a pro. My father was a builder and he used to say "The water always wins" which may not be the most profound quote around but....he advised me not to buy a house with a basement and I can't tell you how many times I've been to Open Houses or just in friend's homes and smelled the moldy or mildewed smell of a wet basement.

Water was getting in somehow. Also, we have dealt with a leaky roof, insurance paid, and it took forever to find the cause of the leak, even after the work was done. Insurance paid for it all, thank goodness. Hail caused the problem.

When it comes to water, you have to find the cause, eliminate any contributing factors that could let it happen again and fix the problem. A neighbor had a slanted, underground garage leading to a family room. It hadn't leaked for 20 years so they thought water damage from a recent flooding could be fixed and then leave it alone.

Same thing happened the NEXT year, soaking everything, ruining furniture. Good luck but I'd play it safe and call in a pro.

And, as Big Bob noted, water damage does not allow for a long learning curve. If any moisture is left, you've set yourself up for rot, mold, mildew and serious damage down the road.

Last edited by jameson12; 02-03-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: more info needed
jameson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #9

Water damage

Thanks guys. I talked to my insurance and they will take care of most of it, but not all unfortunately. IndoorRestore looks like they'll take care of it for the lowest price. Any yay's or nay's towards them from anyone?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #10

Water damage

Well, I decided to go with IndoorRestore and I'm extremely happy with them! I was on a pretty tight budget and so didn't expect to be able to afford a great company, but these guys exceeded expectations. Great customer service, great prices, great warranty, great everything! I'll be recommending them to everyone