DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water in crawl space after it rains and other questions about crawl space.

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Just Bill 
#1 ·
Hello all i am a new homeowner and have a few questions about my crawl space. i had my first rain the other day and now i have a few spots in the crawl with standing water. yesterday I cleaned all my gutters and installed a few new downspouts to help with this. can i suck the waper up with a wet/dry shop vac? I also noticed a few vents that lead from the inside of my house (ie livingroom) directly into the crawl. not sure if they are cold air return vents or not becuase because the vent doesnt lead anywhere just an open vent. and how also should I seal the 5 foundation vents i have? thank you very much

#2 ·
Foundation vents should be open in warmer weather. There are thermostatically controlled(mechanical) that open/close with temp.

Do the downspouts get water at least 6' from the foundation(add extensions if needed), and does the grading slope away from the house. If not, fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.