Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #1

Share |

Water coming in under basement door

Hello all, just joined, and looking for an answer to this ongoing problem. Bought this house just over a year ago and until now I've just accepted the water coming in my basement during bad storms, but I'm looking for something to prevent it.

I have a concrete stairway leading to a basement entrance, it is about 5-6 steps. At the bottom of the steps is a drain, which leads to a secondary sump pump. The sump pump works great and drains efficiently. Unfortunately, the smallest amount of dirt, leaves, etc. that builds up over the drain prevents any water from going down the drain. Now I can keep the area as clean as a whistle but with the heavy rain storms in Chicago lately, it just drags new garbage into the stairway, over the drain. And if I'm not home to constantly check to make sure its clear, the water will come pouring in.

I had a drain plate with about 5 holes and replaced it with one with 30+ holes, but same result. This may or may not effect your thoughts but there is a small deck above it so you can walk out the kitchen door to the outside. Walking in and out of the basement steps, you must duck slightly not to hit your head. So any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help!

lucaduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
DIY staff

You are going to have to replace the drain with a trench drain----
or find a large grate that you could place over the landing so water only ,but no debris can reach the existing drain.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You are going to have to replace the drain with a trench drain----
or find a large grate that you could place over the landing so water only ,but no debris can reach the existing drain.

thanks for the response...my first idea was a grate-type application and it looks like the trench drain is the same concept i was thinking of...any chance you can provide a link to one that is suitable for a small area...the ones i'm finding are 4 foot wide and would take a hell of a lot of extra work than i'm capable of....im thinking of something ~1 foot wide (maybe even a square 1x1 grate)
lucaduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
DIY staff

I don't know where you are located----See if you have a concrete supply company locally.

A plumbing supply house could also get that drain for you. a 12"x 12" would do nicely.

It sounds like an interior drain was used---Might be one of the plumbers here will chime in--Mike---