Water In Basement During Rainstorms - Need A Little More Help - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water in basement during rainstorms - need a little more help

Hi - I am a new homeowner with more potential projects than i can imagine. however, the little bit of water that comes into the basement during a heavy rain is my current project. gutters are operating adequately as far as i can tell. I need to add a downspout extension. The problem I need help with is fixing the slope away from the foundation - there are plantings in front of the foundation, with a mulch bed. the highest point of the bed is away from the house, so it slopes slightly toward and away from the foundation, but enough for water to pool closer to the foundation - which i suspect is making its way into basement. I have read that the slope should be 1" vertical for every 1 foot horizontal X 4 feet...and no closer than 6" to the siding.
What exactly should i use to build up the bed to get the water to move away from the house? Or maybe I can just remove enough mulch to create the slope I need?
I live in MA, so i need to do it soon (as in NOW!) also, it needs to get me throught the winter and if i need to do more extensive drainage project in the spring, then i will.
Thanks

Advertisement

pearlybaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Ayuh,... Without removing the mulch, there ain't much that can be done....
Otherwise,...
Remove the mulch, regrade with a top soil high in clay content, 'n remulch to finish...
The high clay content promotes shedding of water, instead of soakin' in..

Btw,... I'd go at least 6' away from the foundation... More is Better in this case....

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

1" V and 1" H is a 45 degree slope; huge. That may be getting into the "wash-out" zone. 1" V and 1.7" H is 30 degrees, which is also a lot. Water does not need huge slope if the ground is solid (clay-ish, as mentioned). 1:2 should be fine, and don't hesitate to leave gaps in that bedding to let water out. Yes, extend downspouts to several feet, and slope 5' to 6' from the house. Sidewalks slope about 1/8" per foot, if I recall; just for perspective, but different material.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote