DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   General DIY Discussions (
-   -   water in basement bathroom? (

hswerdfe 10-08-2012 08:34 PM

water in basement bathroom?
My basement had a half-bath (sink and toilet).
The floor of the bathroom was raised 2 inches off the concrete by some 2x4's and plywood.

When the rain was VERY heavy we would get some water coming out from under the bathrooms raised floor.

I ripped up the floor and found mold growing on both the 2x4s and the plywood, and the obvious source of the problem was in the area of the toilet.

I think, the water may have been coming from between the toilets drain pipe and the concrete floor, as the water table raised.

We have not had any other water issues while we lived here (3 years).

I was thinking to solve this issue I would lay down some caulking around the toilet drain. Then put in a floor consisting of insofast pannels, a sheet a plywood, and tiles.

Any thoughts on how effective this approach might be?
Or any other ideas about how to stop the water, from coming into the basement?


joecaption 10-08-2012 09:07 PM

Caulking is not going to hold up.
If there's enough hydrostatic pressure under that slab to leak like that then you may need a sump pump. (if that's really what's leaking.

hswerdfe 10-09-2012 01:56 PM

thanks for the advice joecaption, I am 100% sure the leak is coming from in or around the toilet drain. and about 70% sure it is coming from the crack between the drain pipe and the cement. the other possibility may be it was leaking out from around the toilet base, but I only ever saw water when the rain was really bad.

Additional info, I'm on a 4 ft hill relative to my backyard neighbours (who don't have water in their basement) and the street level. but my soil has a lot of clay in it, so we probably have poor drainage.

I was also considering filling the 1/4" gap between the drain pipe and concrete with some of that spray on Rubber stuff, or expanding foam, or perhaps simply filling the gap with concrete.

joecaption 10-09-2012 02:04 PM

Post a picture of it.
You need to use Hydrolic cement to seal it.
Without first removing the flange there's no good way I can think of to seal it tight enough to make any differance.
All the other stuff you mentioned would be useless. It all poris and not make to hold back water.

hswerdfe 10-09-2012 07:27 PM

Thanks, I can do you one better then a pic. This is a youtube video of the toilet drain.

Thanks for all your help.

hswerdfe 10-09-2012 07:45 PM

oh, and this is a video of the spray on rubber stuff..
it is called flex seal

There is also another one called "Rust-Oleum LeakSeal"

PS thanks for all your help

Dan101 10-09-2012 08:00 PM

Flex seal in not going to work for you. You will need hydraulic cement. I would recommend DRYLOK brand fast plug. It is also important to know for sure where the water comes from.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1