Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #1

Share |

washing vinyl siding

we have a new (to us!) home, 20 yrs old- vinyl siding. I want to clean it, thinking about a pressure washer, but I am not sure- I do not want to damage it, or get water in behind etc.
what's the best way to do this job? my backup plan is to climb up a ladder with a pail of soapy water and a sponge -

thanks

Mac!

mrmac204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #2

washing vinyl siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmac204 View Post
we have a new (to us!) home, 20 yrs old- vinyl siding. I want to clean it, thinking about a pressure washer, but I am not sure- I do not want to damage it, or get water in behind etc.
what's the best way to do this job? my backup plan is to climb up a ladder with a pail of soapy water and a sponge -

thanks

Mac!

I pressure wash my siding from time to time, with no ill effects.
i read that care should be taken not to allow the stream to drive upwards, as it can drive in behind the siding! Always point the stream down-wards.
Also start washing at the bottom clap and work your way up.
If you start at the top, runs may etch into the lower courses.
This is what I read, but I don't understand how this could happen!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #3

washing vinyl siding

1988 vinyl siding?

lots of ...lesser quality was sold back then. If your siding has no issues other than dirt, pressure washing should be fine.

I'm not sure by your post: do you need info on the proper way to pressure wash this siding?
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #4

washing vinyl siding

ya, and from what I've been reading on the 'net, it seems that it will be real easy to damage things- I think I'm gonna just do the soapy water and sponge thing, although I'm not sure about the back side of the house, its waaay up high - the siding is still sound, no cracks, seems to bend ok without breaking (we had a deck installed so they took some off, I bent a few pieces that were no longer needed) I just want to get the 'air bourne" dirt off - its not too bad actually, just want to spruce up the place a bit.

thanks

Mac!
mrmac204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #5

washing vinyl siding

your right about the pressure washer being strong, its possible to take the siding right off the house. I bought one of those brushes on an extension pole, found in the automotive section of a parts store. One other thing I was surprised about was reading the back of cleaning products, so many say not for doing the siding, of course depends on aluminum or vinal. And yes, you can of course use a pressure washer, being careful not to lift the panals.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Nia

washing vinyl siding

I don't know how dirty the siding is but they sell house wash solution that you can connect to the end of a garden hose.

Bleach and water solution will work also.
Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #7

washing vinyl siding

I get professional result by using Purple Power consentrated cleaner and degreaser. Buy it at Walmart, in the automotive section. Comes in gallon size. Put it in a good quality spray bottle, dilute with water if you want to and spray on siding. I use a brush and rinse with a garden hose. Siding will look like brand new. While I am doing the siding I clean the windows, gutters, trim, and painted foundation. Very inexpensive, a gallon will last a long time.

opnjim is offline   Reply With Quote