Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 77

Washing machine motor uses

So this isn't a repair post more of a what would you do post... So I have an old washing machine motor. Rather than scrap it which I will if I don't find a use, it got me thinking what one could do with an old motor that still works fine.

Any thoughts? One idea I had was to mount a pully to the shaft and find an old car alternator. With a little creative mounting, I'd then essentially have myself a "12 volt" dc power supply to do testing on automotive equipment!

Any other cool ideas???

lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,232

The end plate on this quarter horse reads "GE Washing Machine Motor". It came from a worn out wringer washer built in the 1930s possibly. It has powered my home made grinder since 1958.
Attached Thumbnails
Washing machine motor uses-grinder-belt-10-10-09.jpg  

Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Jack of all Trades

Awesome bench grinder.

As for the motor, I was referring to the top loader unit. Most front loaders run on a high voltage and odd frequency (I.e. not 60hz like standard alternating current well in the us) with the use of a solid state power supply. I only know this because I blew a flood unit up. The power supply that is. DOH!

I didn't know they double torque, that is kinda scary but cool engineering. My motor has a low speed in counter clockwise direction and high speed in clockwise or vice versa.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestooshort81 View Post
So this isn't a repair post more of a what would you do post... So I have an old washing machine motor. Rather than scrap it which I will if I don't find a use, it got me thinking what one could do with an old motor that still works fine.

Any thoughts? One idea I had was to mount a pully to the shaft and find an old car alternator. With a little creative mounting, I'd then essentially have myself a "12 volt" dc power supply to do testing on automotive equipment!

Any other cool ideas???
Be careful because the DC alternator V will float much higher than 12dc. It could be 35-40 without a battery connected.
64pvolvo1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64pvolvo1800
Be careful because the DC alternator V will float much higher than 12dc. It could be 35-40 without a battery connected.
Wow how is it possible to travel that high? Doesn't the internal voltage regulator cut the output over 14 volts? I'll keep that in kind. Not a project I'm starting anytime soon.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestooshort81 View Post
Wow how is it possible to travel that high? Doesn't the internal voltage regulator cut the output over 14 volts? I'll keep that in kind. Not a project I'm starting anytime soon.
The Alternator is meant to operate with a load and the open circuit can reach those voltages. The battery in the system will "anchor" the voltage and the alternator simply replenishes whats lost and needed. The regulator will keep the voltage within tolerance during runs but only with the anchor in place.

That s also why, if jump starting your car or while running yuour car, NEVER take a lead loose. Those voltages can and will take out electronics in a hurry.
So, when youre experimenting, it will be interesting to play with and see the ramifications of different loads on the voltage.
64pvolvo1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Jack of all Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64pvolvo1800

The Alternator is meant to operate with a load and the open circuit can reach those voltages. The battery in the system will "anchor" the voltage and the alternator simply replenishes whats lost and needed. The regulator will keep the voltage within tolerance during runs but only with the anchor in place.

That s also why, if jump starting your car or while running yuour car, NEVER take a lead loose. Those voltages can and will take out electronics in a hurry.
So, when youre experimenting, it will be interesting to play with and see the ramifications of different loads on the voltage.
Ahhhhh never thought about the battery being a buffer....duh! I should have known that. However and I'm just curious what did you mean by not taking a lead loose while junpstarting a car. Are you referring to the jumper cable?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 504

Go kart. Or mobile bar stool.

Mort is offline   Reply With Quote