Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #1

Share |

Want to update gas fireplace w/ glass rocks?

I am want to replace the fake logs in my fireplace with some colored glass rocks. I am hoping to find some sort of a stainless steel tray that I can just place over the burner and add rocks to it.

Does anyone have experience with this, or possibly know where I might be able to find something like this? I have searched the internet for "glass rocks for fireplace" and I am not really finding what I want.

RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... Glass don't like bein' IN the fire,...

Any fancy fireplaces I've seen with glass, put's the glass Under the actual flames...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
I have gas!

I talked to the guys at the fireplace store about this a while ago. They had some beautiful examples of glass and fire. The problem is that the burner needs to be replace to do this so it gets kind of expensive.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Friends of mine, artists, work with high temperature crystal that would be perfect for what you have in mind. One is in Pennsylvania and the other is a retired master Waterford carver in County Waterford, Ireland. Eammon's walk to his house is lined with crystal slag he could not use. Alex blows giant pieces of crystal and than wacks them with grinders, sandblasters and things. And then sometimes adds corrosive metals for his look. PM if interested. I am sure they both would slip you some crystal chunks that would take the heat of what you have in mind.

You will probably end up needing your base for it all made. Do you have a blacksmith near? Again I know some that do incredible work and even make me tools at times.

Mark and Mindy are a magical team. And yes they have heard all the jokes. He is a blacksmith and she does metal chasing. They do custom work with orders from all over.

http://www.cinemagallery.cc/Gardner_Mark.htm

Obviously you need to determine thing like what you want the flame to look like in this situation you have in mind. I have no idea who designs custom gas jets for crystal on metal installations but guess your local fireplace shop might know? Sounds like a fun project. Have fun.

Commoners think they can never set foot in an art gallery which is a shame because at the end of the day, art is for the masses. Prices and commissions are no more negotiable on this planet than in an art gallery (Well maybe not, my Bentley dealer called williing to drop the price $20K this morning). Seriously, hidden willingness to help with projects like yours might be hiding behind art gallery doors and no other matching storefronts. Yeah of course you are expected to plunk down $40K for a painting or sculpture on your way out. I never have but galleries are my world. I beat artists and galleries up in parking lots. I love the free eats and cheap wine at openings too.

Last edited by user1007; 04-29-2012 at 10:36 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Glass don't like bein' IN the fire,...
Hugh! Glass can take more high temperature exposure than just about any material on the planet. It is a great and overlooked counter material for this reason. You have to heat it way up to make it flexible enough to blow into shape or molds. Anything this poster has in mind in terms of BTUs is not going to damage a piece or two of crystal scrap.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote